Help for a hard gainer?

M

mash9e9

Fellow Sherdoggers:

Any help is much appreciated. I'm 5'8, 145, still young, and not what one would call a natural athlete. I'm hoping to finally get into a program and begin training (I live in Cincy and am really hoping to join JG's academy.) What I'd like to do however, is put together a decent physique to go along with my soon-to-commence MMA training. [Aside: I am not looking to go pro or anything of the sort. I'm just tired of merely sitting on the couch wishing I could do everything I enjoy watching.]

So: I need suggestions on supplements to increase my ability to put on mass. The few times I have tried (even with trainers) have been miserable failures, but I've never taken any supplements. I'm not looking to break the bank, but I'm not afraid to drop a dime either, if it will truly help me.

Thanks in advance!

force yourself to eat 4000kcal a day (this is the most important part of gaining weight, EATING)

lift heavy compound lifts
do some squats

this will guarantee weight gain for a person of your weight and height.

You can do all sorts of wacky exercises, but if you dont eat, you wont grow.

^^ what he said, buying pricy supplements wont be your best bet, your young, eat LOTS and lift lots if you do it properly you will gain weight. read up on the Faq as well.

thanks for the replies...i'm browsing throught the FAQ's right now. Looks like I need to work on my appetite!

if you're serious about getting big eat alot, but clean, and lift heavy. i know this is the diet forum but i suggest you read the strenght & power faq, there's some good advice on lifting in there.

Hey bro. Good luck in gaining the weight. Just my 2 cents with what worked with me...I sound like a broken record now but anywho...1. Ate like a maniac, 2. I drank Cytogainer about 2-3 times a day. 3. I went on a PB sandwich binge for about 2-3 months. 4. Lifted heavy using the 5x5 program. I went from 165 to 197(ish) in less than a year.

eating has already been mentioned. also, lift hard and lift heavy. dont go for the "I'm going for reps" bullshit. stick with the basic movements such as bench pressing, squats, and dead lifts-- which in my opinion is the most underrated excercise.

Go to John Berardi's website, read: Massive Eating I, II, Massive Eating: Reloaded I, II. Also, read this (and follow it): If you are a newcomer to the weights looking to add muscular bodyweight, read this - Bodybuilding.com Forums ..there's also a 5x5 program that works great - though I forget the name of it.

I've been eating 4000kcal a day (CLEAN) + lifting heavy (for me) and gained 3 pounds in a week (just started eating 4000kcal last Monday) :) Works great, and the food is awesome too!

Supplements: Whey Protein (PWO), Casein Protein (before bed - Muscle Milk is good), Creatine (5g/day), Fish-Oil (3-6g per day - I have 5), good Multivitamin (read FAQ).

Word of advice - mix your veggies into your shakes - you can't taste them once you put fruit in. I put 2+ cups of spinach, half a banana and nuts & stuff in a chocolate whey/MM shake and you can't even taste the veggies :)

Yup, eat clean, though if you're either going to eat unhealthy or eat nothing, eat unhealthy too. While you're young you can get away with eating a lot of less than healthy stuff while bulking, so use that ability to eat things you really like and up your total caloric intake.

Eat more
Move less
Lift heavier weight

PB and J is your friend. 2 slices of bread, 2 tbs of pb and a glass of milk is an easy 600+ calories.

Thanks so much guys! Its intimidating at 24 starting from scratch because I feel like I should have some sort of handle on it...the advice is really appreciated.

Thanks so much guys! Its intimidating at 24 starting from scratch because I feel like I should have some sort of handle on it...the advice is really appreciated.

Man...you are plenty young dude. I think some of us had ups and downs or at least I did. Im 28 and starting all over again. Im still in bit shape but still. Dont even think about your age man. Thats the shit that brings some people down. As long as you are active, you should be ok. I dont even feel 28...I feel like im 18.

I'm 24 and just started as well. It takes time but things improve, just stick with it. The advice around here is great. Make much use of the training forums.

Back