Help deciding on a gi

Tony Manifold

Brown Belt
Reaction score
So I need to buy another gi. I am looking to get a second one so I have a one washing and one ready for wear. I am looking at a inexpensive brand. I just need it to hold up to regular wear and tear. I am not looking for a competition gi that is so stiff it can stand up on its own. After searching the forum and the interwebz, I think I am narrowed down to 3 options.

A Howard Combati Kimono
Warrior one kimono
Piranaha gear.

The warrior one is the most expensive at about 80 followed by the HCK at 50-80 (depends on color) then the Piranaha hear at around 40-50. I don't care about patches or what not and the cheaper the better but only if it won't fall apart. Cheap is relative. I have read that the Piranha gear is good but only in one or two places other than that I have heard nothing.

Opinions? Thoughts?

Thanks guys

I have a Howad that is 8 years old. They are well made and real stiff and the collar is a joke. Only prob is they can be tight and limit movement a tad, and forget about sleeve chokes.

a howard is a good gi, but theyre thick.

a pirahna gi is a total waste of money. thin collars, elastic waste band, and the tops tear easily.

HCK makes a great gi, but armtriangle is right they are really thick, so they last a long time but may be rough during the summer months.

i hear fuji gi's are great too and really cheap/

I've heard that Fujis and Dax Mosquitos are awesome and friggin' cheap.

yes, fuji....i have one and it rocks. Around $60 for a very good gi. They make judo gi's also so you know the collar isn't a piece of shit

dax is the best gi i ever owned for judo its super tight and the material is like sand paper (seriously) the dax moskito only cost me 140 bucks and the guys at my club who own mizuno euro comps like my gi more then theres . its tight fitting so you can use it for bjj just might get a little hot if your a wimp haha .

if you want a good bjj/judo gi i suggest dave carimillo's gi the reviews i have read there making it out to be a really good gi and plus it looks nice .

http://www.dcacademy.info/gi.shtml

or http://www.ouano.com/kimonos.htm heard these are good if your looking for bjj

i get all my info from this website http://gireviews.com/

I have a Padilla and Sons that I rolled in last night. It was nice.

I like how they have only a small shark on the sleeve, nice clean looking Gi.

I have a Padilla and Sons that I rolled in last night. It was nice.

I like how they have only a small shark on the sleeve, nice clean looking Gi.

You know, I think I prefer a basic gi. I saw a guy tonight and his gi has all sorts of patches on it. I thought it was mainly an affiliation or maybe a sponsorship thing at the elite level but this guys gi kind of reminded my of those blankets I had in cub scouts with all my merit badges and camp badges and what not. Part of my wants to rebel against my traditional judo white or blue only background and get something wild like camoflage but I think I will like a plain white gi better.

Also, I know what single and double weave means but what is a gold weave? The Padilla gi says its a gold weave. All I could find on that is that gold weave "was the standard" weave in brazil.

i hear fuji gi's are great too and really cheap/

For the price the Fuji is the best thing going.

I wear a Fuji double for Judo and a Atama Gold Weave for BJJ.

HCK are good too, but the Fuji is much cheaper and just as good.

search function. theres plenty of advice if you search.

depends how much you want to spend.

if youre spending top dollar then dragao.
medium price range around about $100 then sirius>gameness all day long in my experience.

I ordered a Fuji a couple of days ago based on a couple of threads posted here. Just do a bit of searching, it won't kill you :) Good luck!

Back