Help Countering Wrestling Moves

WrestlingNerd

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ok there are certain wrestling moves that can lose you ALOT of points and are very hard to get out of. Does anyone know any counters to them? Heres a list of moves I have trouble with:

tilt (all variations mostly armbar though)
armbar
ball and chain
crab ride
legs
front cradle

Legs, tilt and crab ride I seem to have the most problems with and waaaay too many people use tilts and that really kills and loses matches for me.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

Sounds like you basically suck on bottom...
My advise would be to go to some clinics since it's off season already keep going to practice over the summer.

Yeah bottoms my weakest point. I do go to clinics and 2 clubs. What I do is basically grab their hands and stall and attempt a stand up or some sort of sit out escape or reversal. I still really need to know a good way out of tilts, legs and the crab ride even though I've really only run into that offseason (probably part of the reason I do so bad against it).

Don't let yourself in to most of those in the first place is your best bet. Don't let the man on top win the hand control battle, and catch his legs coming in before he gets the crab ride in. Once you're stuck in a tlt or cradle (or armbar/chickenwing), all you can do is attack the grip, bridge, kick, and try to scissor your hips - there's really not too many tricks or secrets to getting out of a pinning combination once you're turned. As for the crab ride, you need to keep moving, just like with any other bottom situation. Properly executed sit outs (ie. sit out hard and be ready for the crossface), try to get his arm over your shoulders so you can pull him high, roll some more, tripod and shake, etc.

Basically, you're just asking for tips on getting out of positions that you shouldn't be getting into in the first place. Once you're in this kind of trouble and have sacrificed this kind of position to your opponent, it really becomes a dogfight for you to find your way back to a more neutral/less dangerous spot.

I've gotten pretty good at hand control recently so most of these things don't pose too much of the problem. I know some moves you shouldn't get into in the first place but how do I avoid some of them? I heard yesterday that you're supposed to lean into an armbar tilt so the person has no leverage. Basically I'm looking for things like that.

Just don't get flattened out. Don't let yourself get broken flat and then armbarred (do you mean chicken wing or arm across your back?), because all the tricks in the world won't stop a decent wrestler from grinding you and getting points a high percentage of the time once you're flat with a pinning combo locked up tight. If you get chicken winged from your knees, just limp arm out and fire up to your feet. Don't let yourself get flattened, and armbars won't be a problem. Make sure you control his wrist/s (or at least that he doesn't control yours) and tilts won't be a big issue. Keep your head up and your back straight and the cradles won't be a big deal either. There aren't many magic tricks and special moves in wrestling - especially on bottom - you need to execute the basics, keep proper position and posture, win the hand-fighting battle (just like everywhere else in wrestling), and constantly be moving to get your hips above or away from your opponent.

Just don't get flattened out. Don't let yourself get broken flat and then armbarred (do you mean chicken wing or arm across your back?), because all the tricks in the world won't stop a decent wrestler from grinding you and getting points a high percentage of the time once you're flat with a pinning combo locked up tight. If you get chicken winged from your knees, just limp arm out and fire up to your feet. Don't let yourself get flattened, and armbars won't be a problem. Make sure you control his wrist/s (or at least that he doesn't control yours) and tilts won't be a big issue. Keep your head up and your back straight and the cradles won't be a big deal either. There aren't many magic tricks and special moves in wrestling - especially on bottom - you need to execute the basics, keep proper position and posture, win the hand-fighting battle (just like everywhere else in wrestling), and constantly be moving to get your hips above or away from your opponent.

X2....
If I were OP I would drill a very explosive standup EVERY practice until it is 2nd nature.

If you can get your standup clicking 50% of your problems will be solved.

Back