help breaking posture

newerest

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
whenever I have someone in my guard I try to focus on grabbing their wrists, elbows, and their head. if i grab something usually i am able to pull with my arms and pull with my legs to break their posture

can you guys posts some tips for help with this type of posture breaking? (as opposed to sitting up and clinching with them)

I've had some luck overhooking one of their arms.
Punch your overhook in deep, like you're trying to put your fist on their opposite hip. This starts to angle your hips out and keeps their head from getting too far away from you.

i look for an arm to trap down, but if like usual they arent giving me anything for free, i try and grab a collar or something.
then their focus goes to breaking my grip.

if it doesnt, i try to keep my elbow close to me, and kinda hang my weight from it as i move back.

i think if they are on their knees then their balance is usually far enough forward for you to be in control of their posture. but if their weight is on their knees and feet, then just pulling will be harder on you.

also i try not to just pull with my arms/lats but pull my whole body back.

but i make so many mistakes its unbelievable

I've had some luck overhooking one of their arms.
Punch your overhook in deep, like you're trying to put your fist on their opposite hip. This starts to angle your hips out and keeps their head from getting too far away from you.

and from there?

do u start to look for a nice collar grip with the other hand?

is it possible to lead up to an armbar of the arm you have overhooked? if you pushed out and used ur free hand push his face or something?

To tell you the truth let them posture. The only thing posture threatens is unlocking your guard. If you aren't comfortable with open guard then you need to work on that first. Why try to adjust to he's game unless your working a high guard or rubber guard. There are plenty of sweeps from open and half to catch them as they posture.

I prefer looking for omoplata or kimura on the arm I have overhooked. If I get my feet on their hips, triangle and straight armbar are there as well.
Mainly, once I'm out to the side, I clamp my knees together and see what they give me.

Armdrag helps break posture and set you up for a sub. But don't just grab the arm and pull. BRIDGE into the guy and pull the arm across as you're coming back down, just like you do when you're pulling the arm across to finish a triangle.

To tell you the truth let them posture. The only thing posture threatens is unlocking your guard. If you aren't comfortable with open guard then you need to work on that first. Why try to adjust to he's game unless your working a high guard or rubber guard. There are plenty of sweeps from open and half to catch them as they posture.

no, don't do this. you want to break their posture.

if you want to keep them in closed guard, break their posture. if you cannot stop and you know they will break, then open your guard. you determine when your guard opens, not your opponent.

and also, when they posture you got the xande/hip bumb sweeps.

also, a thing that is okay in nogi is the chin strap. that is annoying as shit.

Armdrag helps break posture and set you up for a sub. But don't just grab the arm and pull. BRIDGE into the guy and pull the arm across as you're coming back down, just like you do when you're pulling the arm across to finish a triangle.

This.

What I usually do though is get a double lapel grip (both grips on the same side) and pull as I bring my legs in. That usually works for me even if my opponent has good posture.

I love the overhook from guard stuff. From there, you've got some nice easy subs, namely: Collar choke, straight armbar, triangle, omaplata, and a nice easy flower sweep as well.

Back