Hekkie Budler vs Felix Alvarado added to Benavidez vs Dirrell September card

MMALOPEZ

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
Promoter Sampson Lewkowicz on Thursday won the IBF purse bid for the mandatory fight between unified junior flyweight world titlist Hekkie Budler (32-3, 10 KOs), 30, of South Africa, and Felix Alvarado (33-2, 29 KOs), 29, of Nicaragua, one of Budler’s mandatory challengers. Lewkowicz, who is working with Alvarado’s team, was the only bidder with an offer of $25,000 with 75 percent ($18,750) due to Budler and 25 percent ($6,250) to Alvarado. IBF rules say the fight needs to take place within 90 days (by October 5) but Lewkowicz told ESPN he plans to put the fight on a date to be determined in September, possibly on the same card on which he plans to do super middleweight titlist David Benavidez’s mandatory defense against former titlist Anthony Dirrell. Per IBF rules, the Budler-Alvarado contracts are due to the sanctioning body within 15 days (by July 20). Budler, who has also won a world title at strawweight, eked out a decision in an upset against Ryoichi Taguchi to claim two 108-pound belts May 20 in Tokyo. Alvarado lost unanimous decisions in two previous title bouts, at flyweight and junior flyweight, in back-to-back fights in 2013 and 2014.

i

Dan Rafael, ESPN Senior Writer6h ago

Hekkie??
I remember following that guy when I was on a big SAfrican kick after Chilemba and Oosthuizen started making some noise.

He looked good when he was fighting countrymen... but that was 3 losses ago, guessing he didn't live up to the hype

Hekkie??
I remember following that guy when I was on a big SAfrican kick after Chilemba and Oosthuizen started making some noise.

He looked good when he was fighting countrymen... but that was 3 losses ago, guessing he didn't live up to the hype
Unified champ in his second weight class probably justifies some of the hype. He's no Chocolatito but he's good.

Unified champ in his second weight class probably justifies some of the hype. He's no Chocolatito but he's good.
I didn't think he deserved to beat Taguchi but still, that win has to mean something.

Back