• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Height Advantage in Boxing, Kickboxing and Muay Thai

It seems that you are right. In boxing you stay in kicking range (which is actually the safe range, becuase there are no kicks... obviously) and you are exploding from less distance. In KB you stay outside of the kicking range to be safe and if you want to get in and throw some bombs with your hands, you have to move more. From experience I know that the shorter guys just want to throw some punches from close range. If it is boxing they have to use faints, if it is kickboxing they could throw some kicks, too. However in KB they could take much more punishment. I still keep insisting on my own view- when you kick you have to lift your your leg from the ground and you lose your mobility. If you just punch- you are in your opponent's kicking range no mater who is taller. I don't say that in boxing the tall guys are in better position, but in this sport it is definitely easier to get out "dry". In KB there are too many weapons and it is harder to defend yourself from all those tools, while you try to attack, too.
Yes, exactly! Man, you are so right. I don't know why, but seems that noone notices that with the progression of the fight the smaller guys usually start to fade. They need more energy to close the gap. They have to be more creative. They have to throw wilder punches and in bigger volumes in shorter amount of time (when they are close). They have to close the distance explosively. When they are tired- they just eat strikes, while trying to march forward. For instance look at Jon Jones- he is starting to shine in the later rounds with some of his shorter opponents- Cormier and Rashad for instance.

Here is a question on Conor vs Diaz II match, what did Conor learn to do in the second match that he should have done in the first?

Here is a question on Conor vs Diaz II match, what did Conor learn to do in the second match that he should have done in the first?
Hmmm, interesting question. Probably he managed to conserve more his energy. Probably he was trying to be more precise and to decrease his volume of strikes. Probably his footwork was better. I don't know honestly. I have watched both of the fights, but honestly now nothing specific comes to my mind. But yes, very good example! Probably this is one of those fights which can give us the answer.

Hmmm, interesting question. Probably he managed to conserve more his energy. Probably he was trying to be more precise and to decrease his volume of strikes. Probably his footwork was better. I don't know honestly. I have watched both of the fights, but honestly now nothing specific comes to my mind. But yes, very good example! Probably this is one of those fights which can give us the answer.

Answer is he was attacking the lead leg as he was counter punching left and right and slipping punches with better distance management.

Otherwise still Conor!

But very sloppy poor precision certainly not a on Saenchai's level.

If about boxing or european KB.
In the same weight shorter guy usually is with wider shoulders, better bears frontal strikes to chest, floating ribs and under them, also not rarely their arms aren't so damaged from blocking.

Answer is he was attacking the lead leg as he was counter punching left and right and slipping punches with better distance management.

Otherwise still Conor!

But very sloppy poor precision certainly not a on Saenchai's level.

Yes, sounds logical. The leg kicks are big game changer. They are one of the most effective weapons which could be used from a shorter guy. From other hand- look at Badr Hari, Semmy Schilt, Peter Aerts for instance. These dudes are tall, but still use very effectively leg kicks. As I have already said- the KB and MT give more options for the taller guy to totally demolish his opponent, but also there is higher chance something to go wrong.
If we look at the top boxers and kickboxers- again the answer is unclear. It seems that at the heavier weight divisions the styles are becoming similar (after all the heavyweight kickboxers use much more boxing and less kicks than their lighter counterparts).

Back