heel hook problem

R

richieb19

i was rolling with a buddy tonight and found myself in a odd situation...i usually sub all my buds but this guy kept his leg extremely stiff and i wasnt able to get an inside or outside heelhook at all...anyone got any advice?

try posting this in the grappling technique forum. The people there actualy train, as opposed to the keyboard warriors around here who think they know what they're talking about. Through my limited bjj training, I know very little about leg locks, so I won't try to give you information on it.

Alan At Takada Dojo said:
Switch to something else. Heel hooks aren't something you should force if you're rolling with friends and not in a serious fight.

ditto.

Try getting an achilles lock instead. Maybe roll over and try to switch to a heel hook during the transition i.e give them something else to think about

If you have his left foot trapped in your right armpit, slide your right hand all the way up to to top of his foot (hard to do but possible), push down on his toes. In this way, you'll bend his leg and you could switch to a toe hold. I do this a lot and it's a high percentage move if you do it right.

Just drop the hook and go for an Achilles Lock, or, even an overhand foot lock. There a lot of other possibilities there... in a real MMA mathch, you might want to stay with the finish on the hooked heel, but, as an above poster noted, when rolling with friends, don't be forcing leg locks. You can really hurt a friend, and that's just not the idea, there.

It's really, really, REALLY easy to hurt somebody, trying to foce a sub with a heel hook. I'd let it be and stand-up and roll again. Just that you got the position is enough to say you had the sub.

switch between a kneebar and a toehold and ur heel hook. jus dont crank em.

If I were a mod this would be in the grappling section by now, at 1:35 Am pacific time. Please think about it Admin.

You could try an ankle lock, also use your knees to control his knee, pinch your knees and move them back and forth to manipulate his leg into the position you want.

richieb19 said:
i was rolling with a buddy tonight and found myself in a odd situation...i usually sub all my buds but this guy kept his leg extremely stiff and i wasnt able to get an inside or outside heelhook at all...anyone got any advice?
By stiff I assume you mean he was extending his leg out and you could'nt reach back sufficently to get a heelhook or achilles lock.

going with this as your problem my first suggestion would be a neck trap heelhook. Push the guys foot into the side of your neck and then reach over with the opposite arm (so if its in the left side of your neck use your right arm) grab around his heel and use both hands to try and pull his heel around your neck so his ankle turns over. This move is pretty easy and can be done if your opponent is drving his leg straight. If you watch Bas Rutten's Pancrase fights there is a very good example of this move, can't remember the fight off the top of my head though.

I'd also recommend trying to turn into a toe hold.

SmashiusClay said:
By stiff I assume you mean he was extending his leg out and you could'nt reach back sufficently to get a heelhook or achilles lock.

going with this as your problem my first suggestion would be a neck trap heelhook. Push the guys foot into the side of your neck and then reach over with the opposite arm (so if its in the left side of your neck use your right arm) grab around his heel and use both hands to try and pull his heel around your neck so his ankle turns over. This move is pretty easy and can be done if your opponent is drving his leg straight. If you watch Bas Rutten's Pancrase fights there is a very good example of this move, can't remember the fight off the top of my head though.

thanks for the option...

SmashiusClay said:

I love that, that's some creative grappling, right there.

I don't know if I'd try and force that rolling with a friend, but it's a very cool concept. Plus, if Bas Rutten has pulled that off in a Pancrase match, I've gotta take a look at that on the mat.

/why didn't I think of that?
//damn....
///good thinking, there....

If he keeps his leg straight, go for a calf lock. It's just a pain hold, but it works.

Also, you might be able to roll him into a reverse heel hook (and those are REALLY nasty).

Well..going stiff and rolling is the correct escape so i would try a kneebar with the neck trap..actually throws alot of people off when you try it

If your opponent straightens his leg to avoid the ankle lock then go for an achilles lock. If you go for a toe hold to bend the leg, remember when bending the toes in twist your hand over the foot rolling the bones in the foot creating a much tighter and painful toe hold.

Back