Heel hook - basically like a lateral knee bar??

EatMyShorts

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The fact remains that - there is not absolute definition as to how to perform this submission correctly.

Historically - rip across the body.

This seems to have been debunked.

Eddie Cummings advocates, pulling the heel, and forcing the toes down.

Examining how Palhares - a very effective finisher - works, when he opponents roll out of it, they basically roll into the knee bar directly (i.e. David Avallon).

I found the effective movement to be pulling the heel, and bridging the hips into the knee.

This is basically like - extending their leg, only - due to the position the foot is locked in under the attacker's arm, we're doing so - from the side, basically.

And then, if they spin out, we maintain bridging the hips and pulling the heel - maintaining the extension, which is basically a knee bar - but now it's from the straight on angle.

Sound about right?

Cliff notes: A heel hook is a leg extension from the side, not a twist.

I always lean straight back to finish heel hooks instead of twisting to my side

Always finish with your hips, not your grips. So yes, I agree with your broad premise.

You can kneebar when the leg is straight, you heel hook when the leg is bent.

The deeper the bend in the leg, the more torque the heelhook has.

The straighter the leg is, if you're not already finishing you may have better success transitioning to ankle lock or kneebar to finish.

Straightening the leg takes pressure off the heelhook it doesn't add to it.

Seriously hold your right leg out and rotate it counter clockwise.

Now bring your right heel towards your right butt cheek and rotate the leg again (push knee down, bring heel up).

There is a massive difference in torque on the knee.

With a heelhook we're attacking the knee.

If you want to attack the knee on a straightened leg, go for the kneebah.

Inside heel hook from a straightened leg is nasty AF. A nice honey hole to that with a straight leg is about as nasty as it gets

The straighter the leg is, if you're not already finishing you may have better success transitioning to ankle lock or kneebar to finish.

Now bring your right heel towards your right butt cheek and rotate the leg again (push knee down, bring heel up).

I agree with most of your post but you can definitely heel hook a straight leg and straightening the leg can make a heel hook worse. Some of the worst breaks if you have an inverted heel hook on someone and their leg goes straight during the pressure.

warning. Loud knee crack. Video should start at 3:13

See - I think that's the older school logic of "torquing" the leg.

Where as, extending their leg laterally - mechanically - it makes much more sense as to how it affects the ligaments.

To the posts below this - sure, heel hooking a straight leg, but as ya'll seem to agree, it's kind of an act of extension, vs twisting.

To the posts below this - sure, heel hooking a straight leg, but as ya'll seem to agree, it's kind of an act of extension, vs twisting.
I always try to lock the thigh in place and think of the heel as my lever to tear the knee apart. But generally position dictates how pressure should be applied.

See - I think that's the older school logic of "torquing" the leg.

Where as, extending their leg laterally - mechanically - it makes much more sense as to how it affects the ligaments.

The way Eddie Cummings explained it is you are slightly twisting and extending the ligaments and then the hip bridge through the side of the knee finishes the job if they haven’t tapped yet.

Being able to transition from a heelhook to a heelbar is very easy once you know it’s there. Still a relatively rare submission though.

I try to keep my heelhooks at halfway to 45 degrees. I find that if they’re too bent it makes a lot of defenses easier (like the one vinny and Keenan favor) and it weakens both the bridge and the leg close finishing methods. IME/IMO

It's not like a knee bar. It's a twisting submission however you finish it. It twists the knee apart. A kneebar hyper-extends the knee.

Back