Heel hook 50/50 vs normal

DiGriz

White Belt
Reaction score
I recently saw videos of many grapplers using 50/50 position for inverted and usual heel hooks.
(If u dont know what 50/50 is check out Ryan Hall on youtube) Does anyone know advantages and diadvantages of it against normal -legs on inside heel hook?

Interesting subject!

The huge disadvantage is that the other guy is in just as good of position to heelhook you ... hence the name 50/50.

The advantage is that it can be a lot easier to get into this position than other leglock positions, and if you come into the position ahead of the other guy in going for the heelhook, you should win.

A risky move, but if you are good enough at leglocks, it seems to be popular as a way to get going into the game. Imanari uses this all the time.

The 50/50 is so much better IMO! I call it the inside heel hook but whatever its all the same. Zankou said it best...if you get there first you should finish first. If the guy doesnt do something to defend he will get his knee blown out

There is a heirarchy of leglocks from that set of positions. The lowest in the hierarchy is the straight ankle lock, the highest is the heel hook from the 50:50. If your opponent has some other leglock on you, but you have that inverted heel hook, you can tear his leg up before he can do the same to you. It is the top dog as far as really nasty leglocks go.

i think one of the reasons it's unusually high percentage for guys like hall and imanari is due to folks like me who, right off the bat, either train in your standard bjj environment where they're either frowned upon, or not allowed to use them all together.

having said that, i have a couple of questions:

1.is this variation of the inverted heel hook or just another name for the inverted heel hook?

2.what's the basic escape?

It's the inverted heel hook. If I'm heel hooking your right leg, your foot will be on my right side. My right leg will go between your legs and over your right thigh, and be triangled on the right side of your right leg.

Defending it is like other heel hooks, you need to spin out of it, or keep your opponent tight so he doesn't have the space to finish it. It's harder to spin out of than the regular heel hook, though. And you can't counter with a heel hook or ankle lock of your own, unless you also get the inverted heel hook, as they won't make him tap before you do.

Zankou said it all.

The basic escape is unlocking the foot with your free one and then figure four.

Thanks!

I noticed that people tend to go more for normal heel hook from normal(legs in the middle) position and do inverted heel hook more on 50/50 I also noticed that going for a normal heel hook from 50/50 gives a lower % success rate than standard position
any thoughts on that?

To the topic of heel hooks:
(Don't take this too seriously)
Me and some of my friends had a huge debate weather a small guy i.e Imanari (since his name already popped up) could tap a very big but a lot lower class guy like Lesnar or Sapp(in here i mean HUGE weight difference) IN A GRAPPLING MATCH, NOT MMA. The reason Heel hook popped up is that it is one of those submissions whivh works regardless of size. And Imanari popped up as he's very good at those. Any thoughts?

Also to topic of 50/50 and normal heel hooks I have seen a very good variation to finish a inversenheelhook from normal position -also by Ryan HAll
YouTube - www.thebjjexperiment.com (at the end of the video)

I'm sure Ricco Rodriguez lost x2 by heelhook in ADCC to Marcelo and also Mach Sakurai a few years before that.

thanks for the replies

btw also reference sudo v. butterbean, although butterbean isn't exactly roger gracie

butterbean isn't exactly roger gracie

:D:D:D

Lol!

That's exactly why heel hook popped up in our arguement as one of those locks which tap u regardless of size

I cant think of any natural advantage(i.e strength) to help escape heel hook. Exept for flexibility - i know if you knee is flexible enough it can buy you some time to get out. Strangth is not as mentioned before. In toeholds I know if u are very strong and pain insensitive u can sort of get out (ie Randleman v Rua) but in heel hook you fix(hold ) the leg a lot tighter and fet your whole body to it so :icon_twis

Are there any vides I can look at on Youtube or the like on this position and submissions from it? Sounds interesting.

I recently saw videos of many grapplers using 50/50 position for inverted and usual heel hooks.
(If u dont know what 50/50 is check out Ryan Hall on youtube) Does anyone know advantages and diadvantages of it against normal -legs on inside heel hook?

what the hell is the 50/50? you mention a ryan hall video that we are meant to search for. does he have to be doing jiu-jitsu, or win his match, or will any vid do?

I know its a slight exaggeration, but the guy has potential- he progresses at an amazing pace

Back