heavy hands...

thechunkylover

White Belt
Reaction score
how does one knwo if they have heavy hands, lol, i have a bigger build than most guys i know w/ large wrist and bigger/wider hands. more beef to box u in with! but most guys i know are average guys, does anyone have any idea what makes a heavy hand? measurements?

Get in the ring and punch somebody. Ask them how it feels compared to other fighters. That's the only way to tell. "Heavy hands" doesn't mean your hands literally weigh a lot, it just means you punch hard.

A lot of big guys with big arms don't punch that hard because they don't generate enough hand speed and line up the bones right. They just end up push-punching. They do this on the heavy bag too, pushing it all over the place. But that doesn't necessarily mean they punch hard.

"Heavy Hands" is a concept made to describe a characteristic of someone's punching ability.
It's not an actual physical thing.

If someone's punch feels like when it hits, it has an anvil attached to it, that's heavy hands.

"If someone's punch feels like when it hits, it has an anvil attached to it, that's heavy hands."
yeah, i understand. (lol) but i also wanna know what heavy hands (mass) are. Jake Lamotta knew he couldn't be a champion because of his small hands. i just wanna know where i sit
my hands : in inches
bottom of palm to top of middle finger : 8.2
palm across (above the thumb) : 4.2
middle finger : 3.5
wrist : 7.25

if anyone wants to entertain me with a comparison i would appreciate it :D

thechunkylover said:
"If someone's punch feels like when it hits, it has an anvil attached to it, that's heavy hands."
yeah, i understand. (lol) but i also wanna know what heavy hands (mass) are. Jake Lamotta knew he couldn't be a champion because of his small hands. i just wanna know where i sit

bottom of palm to top of middle finger : 7.5
palm across (above the thumb) : 4.25
middle finger : 3.2
wrist : 8.00

Not that I think this tells much about punching...but here you go. I am a HW also.

thechunkylover said:

Dude, it is NOT a physical measurement thing. Some guys with small wrists and small hands punch where it feels like you're getting hit with a hammer. Some guys with big wrists and hands can't power punch. Its something you have or you don't.

thanks beef! how tall are you?
i'm 5'11, and i could slim down to a lean 180

i still understand the concept 'heavy hands' but i'm just curious about some things...
Doughbelly said:
Dude, it is NOT a physical measurement thing. Some guys with small wrists and small hands punch where it feels like you're getting hit with a hammer. Some guys with big wrists and hands can't power punch. Its something you have or you don't.

i don't buy the you were born 'ko kid' thing, anyman is capable of any feat if they train hard enough. And if it's something you either have or don't have, then wouldn't punching have to do w/ genetics (i.e. bone structure (i.e. frame size, bone allignment)). if it's something your born with, then it is in your body...

i mean, yes small guys with small wrists can throw mean punches, but if you can throw a mean punch w/ small hands, you can throw a meaner punch with bigger hands. (that's not my opinion, that's science!)

thanks again to beef!

you can have small hands and hit like a truck(kid) . you can have hugh hands hit like a girl (giant Silva)

it depends on alot of things like Tech, Streght and Practice. but yeah just go hit pads the pad holder will tell you what you are stronge at.

thechunkylover said:
thanks beef! how tall are you?
i'm 5'11, and i could slim down to a lean 180

i still understand the concept 'heavy hands' but i'm just curious about some things...

i don't buy the you were born 'ko kid' thing, anyman is capable of any feat if they train hard enough. And if it's something you either have or don't have, then wouldn't punching have to do w/ genetics (i.e. bone structure (i.e. frame size, bone allignment)). if it's something your born with, then it is in your body...

i mean, yes small guys with small wrists can throw mean punches, but if you can throw a mean punch w/ small hands, you can throw a meaner punch with bigger hands. (that's not my opinion, that's science!)

thanks again to beef!

Dude, do a search of this forum regarding heavy hands and punching power. There's a lot of knowledge and experience from guys who have trained and fought on a lot of different levels.

Those of us who have actually boxed, kickboxed or done muay Thai will tell you that training will only take you so far. Some people are born with natural KO power and some people, no matter how hard they train will get to that level. Some people will never be able to run a sub 4-minute mile, some will never be able to run a sub 10 second 100 meters, some will never run a sub 3 hour marathon. That's genetic.

As for hand structure, I believe it has very little to do with punching power and I believe most knowledgeable people will tell you the same. Personally, I think it has to with the way the torso, specifically the back and hips are built and muscled.

this sounds stupid but...
the best way, without knocking someone out, is to go on an arcade punch machine
if you get top score you have heavy hands
simple
and it'll only cost you a coupkle of

That's about as funny a thread as I've seen. Yup, if you hit people and it hurts them a lot, you have heavy hands. If you drill someone for 5 minutes and they laugh, you have pillow hands. I've found this is better tested on partners using body shots. For '"duh" reasons.

Have you tried weighing them? If they weigh more than a bag of sugar, then you've got heavy hands!

Seriously though, "heavy hands" is just a metaphor for someone with a hard punch, any shape or size.

I'VE TRIED WEIGHING THEM! it's hard because your wrist is attached
just like it's hard to weigh your head
my head weighs like 11 lbs last time i tried.
what do your heads weigh?

i got my first ko last night INTENSE

I really was joking about weighing them!!

Seriously haven't you listened to a thing anyones said in this thread?

Think about a tennis ball, it's not hard or heavy, but if someone slams one into you it really hurts.
It's all about the delivery, you punch with your whole body not just your fist.

& now i've got images of you with your head on the kitchen scales, i really hope you're just winding us up.

Soulfly said:
"Heavy Hands" is a concept made to describe a characteristic of someone's punching ability.
It's not an actual physical thing.

If someone's punch feels like when it hits, it has an anvil attached to it, that's heavy hands.
This is exactly what is meant when somebody says heavy hands. It is not literal but rather a type of analogy. It has nothing to do with physical size.

he's obviously trying to be annoying, guys.

chunky lover is clearly a fucking mong
you have heavy hands because you are downs syndrome
i fucking hate wind up merchants

Back