heavy bags

Cameron

Purple Belt
Reaction score
this christmas i got a brand new heavy bag(90 pounds) and im currently wrestling on my hs wrestling team, now aside from boxing help i was looking at using it as a wrestling dumb and was wondering what are some good ruitiens to go throught to help my wrestling? i was aldreay using it to help my bridge but aside from that i was wondering what are some good things to practice and to work on with it?

Use the bag for boxing, and buy a medicine ball and train with it for your wrestling.

I use a drill where I pick the bag up and slam ity as hard as I can into the floor, move to knee on stomach and throw 10 hard punches at the bag, grab it pick it up and slam it so I'm on the other side. Its a good workout and will strengthen your core, making you more able to control your opponents weight.

Put it on the floor and gnp it, while you gnp it change positions, go from mount to sidemount, to kesa gatame, to northsouth, etc and do as vicious gnp as you can. (great excersice, also consider doing a tabata interval variation..) Pick it up from the ground and shoulder it for reps, pick it up from the ground and shoulder it, then press it on straight arms for reps. Overhead squat with it. Have it on straight arms and move around with it. Greco clinch throw it. Shadow drill your armbars on it. Practise sweeps on it. Bearhug it and switch to diferent grips and really try and squese into it.

And yeah you can also hang it up and punch and kick it.. Just some things to get you started dude..:)

How much wear and tear have your bags gone through with slamming them?

SmashiusClay said:
I use a drill where I pick the bag up and slam ity as hard as I can into the floor, move to knee on stomach and throw 10 hard punches at the bag, grab it pick it up and slam it so I'm on the other side.
Do 20 squats with the bag BEFORE you slam it. Then go to side control and use knees and elbows and hammerfists, then go knee on belly and do machinegun punches (really fast), switch to other side and repeat. Then pick it back up for 20 squats again. Keep repeating for at least 6 rounds. Watch what that does for your game. :)

thanks for all the great tips cant wait to use them and see what results i get.

Cameron said:
thanks for all the great tips cant wait to use them and see what results i get.

Remember, when using it as a grapling dummy, the more visualisation you can get going, the better results you get. When transitioning betwen positonings on it, be ligthning quick and real tight on that mother. When ground and pounding it really put some hate into it.

And the conditioning drills, work one of them for 3 or 5 min rounds and then move on to the next one, ex bearhuging and griping for 5 mins, clinch slaming for 5 mins, shouldering for 5, shouldering and pressing for 5, 3 x gnp for 5.. (another option that is nice is to do a round of gnp betwen every other excersice) Put some intensity into it and I promise you it will be a nasty workout!:)

Dont take this the wrong way or anything, but IMO you guys are giving some of the worst advice ever for Heavy Bag training for WRESTLING. I see a bunch of good stuff as far as MMA goes, but Cameron isn't training for MMA, so the excerises you guys are giving him a pretty useless.

First of Cameron, think in complexes. I have recently been trying to form my own Heay Bag complex, geared toward wrestling. Some excerises that would benefit you would of course be:

-bridging with the bag
-back squats
-calf rasies
-lunges
-throws (suplex,etc)
-military press (its hard at first, but once you get the balance right it becomes easier)
-front squats
-one shoulder squats (throw it on one of your shoulders, then squat it)
-switching it from hip to hip
-lay it on the ground, gut wrench it, lift it up and get it on your back, squat it
-have it standing in the middle of a room, with your hands on it so it doesnt fall, work around it in circles keep your hands on the bag so that it doesnt fall. Once you get quick enough you could even try doing double and stuff on it, just make sure the bag doesnt fall and keeps standing.
-throw the bag as far as you can (doesnt have to be a legit throw or anything, just try to get the bag as far as you can)

I could go on, but I think you get the drift. Just take some of those, and a form a complex.

Wow. I should have read more closely (classic example). I thought this was for mma. My apoligies to all.

Funaki you do have a valid point, but really intense sandbag gnp is an excelent conditioning drill.

no they are all still good suggestions because i do want to go for mma eventually but right now just high school wrestling. still they are all good and ive been trying alot of them and they seem to work well.

Back