Heavy bag routine?

omgitsrick

Green Belt
Reaction score
Can any give me a heavy bag routine to use? All I have to train with on punching is one 75lb heavy bag in my house, so I need a really intensive bag routine. I train mostly grappling but have lately decided to work on my striking too but can't sign up for a gym until 2 months from now, so I just want to work on power. I think I have (most of) the form down for punching and was thinking doing 100 of each punch (cross, jab, hook) and then combinations? Or is that bad? Right now I just need raw power and explosiveness in my punches, can someone help?

I found various Youtube vids helpful. Some are crap, but pick and choose the good ones. Search Bag Drills or similar. Hope it helps

Usualy you work on continous combos (doing say 100 1-2 jab straight or 1-2-3-2 jab straight left hook straight)doing pad work not on a bag but thats not possible if you train alone hehe.

When working the bag i prefer to mix it up and not just do the same combos over and over.

I am no Pro but here is a workout of mine...i do 3 min rounds with 1 min rest in between. I hope its helpful.

YouTube - Karate and Kickboxing bag work

sorry bout the quality its was filmed on my phone :(

Can any give me a heavy bag routine to use? All I have to train with on punching is one 75lb heavy bag in my house, so I need a really intensive bag routine. I train mostly grappling but have lately decided to work on my striking too but can't sign up for a gym until 2 months from now, so I just want to work on power. I think I have (most of) the form down for punching and was thinking doing 100 of each punch (cross, jab, hook) and then combinations? Or is that bad? Right now I just need raw power and explosiveness in my punches, can someone help?

Instructional Threads are a good place to start...

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f11/heavybag-rounds-101-re-birth-425009/

Hey man I got this routine form rossboxing.com. They have good programs on there, but here is an example 1st round you do a speed drill throwing a minimum of 4 punches per combo,2nd round is an outside drill throwing your 1,2 focusing on power,3 rd round is an inside drill throwing hooks and uppercuts and bobbing and weaving, 4th round is is around wear you are constantly on you toes sticking ang working around the bag in all directions throwing your combos and the 5th round is wear you just throw your jab, double up on it and move around. Make sure you keep your hands up at all times. the rounds depend on your level you can do 2 or minute drills and taking one minute breaks. Im no expert but this is what I read about my there is something better.

Back