Heavy bag hijinks and other ramblings

Nuclearlandmine

Shreddin'
Banned
Reaction score
These days being buried underneath a pile of assignment, homework, and general perils of being an oversea student, it had been quite hard for me to find a consistent time slot to train. But these busy time also gave me thoughts about how to improve myself further when i can finally get my ass back to training in a more consistent manner. The last few weeks i've been able to at least find a place and some small time slots to do some work here and there to keep myself in shape. These bagworks below are basically an experiment out of those thought. They are what i think could i do with the basics skillsets i have to improve myself to be well-rounded, based on my experiences training so far and studying the greats.

As the title said, these two bagworks are focused extensively on being "defensive". This is largely from watching boxers like Floyd Mayweather and Rigondeaux, while also drawing from clues from my older videos. In these two i tried to use a lot of feints, pawing jabs and movement to create opportunity to pot shot with my power shot, while also get in and out of the pocket safely. I like the second round much more than the first round, as the first round i felt like i was a bit more robotic than i think i should.

These two are more "lively" when compare to the first two. Instead of being defensive and cautious, this is when pressure and brawling is needed as opposed to just box. I derived this from watching pressure fighters like Magarito and JCC Sr, as well as my own discovery a 3 or 4 months ago (when i could still afford somewhat a consistent training schedule) that trading in the pockets and brawling is a viable tactics. In the vids i pumped the jab much more frequently, and when i am close to the bag i used a lot of tile exercise to facilitate positioning and head movement inside the pocket as well as loading up my power shots. Like the first two, i like the second round more than the first one, where it looked more fluid and powerful (outside of one or two brainfarts i had in that round)

These two are all about volume and repetition. I got this idea from watching Mayweather and his half-hearted bagworks often displayed in HBO 24/7, as well as the tile exercise itself. Technically speaking, this is basically tile exercise, but with the heavy bag. Just ton and ton of movement repeated with the bag as a target. What i think this does is to help me practicing the tile exercise and all the things the exercises facilitate, like footwork, defense, movement, posture and correct movement. I should have done the exercise farther from the bag, and i didn't do much heel-toe movement. But for what's worth i felt like my loaded up my shots pretty well, while my headmovement felt correct and smooth.

So yeah, those 6 videos are basically my experiment on using different approaches while using the same sets of basics. I really really really really hope we can get a productive discussion going on about applying basics in boxing, or in fighting general without usual all the piss taking that often come with my threads. At least, maybe just critique my bagworks? That will do just fine.

Watched the first 30 seconds of first video and I gotta say, if that's ''defensive'' you would really get hurt fast in a real encounter.

The slow jab, jab, *semi power cross* you are leaving your face wide open to get dropped

your last video, volume bagwork 3, is ur best. other ppl can pick what they want about it.

but ur body type is bottom heavy, and it shows in ur movement. a lot of sprints, hill sprints, timed sprint and jumping rope. do plyometrics as well and stretch ur hip flexor and ass and calves.

ur punches are much quicker than ur body and u need to get ur body up to speed with them.

just watched the first 2 clips:
no offence, but some movements seemed forced and not too natural. could be because your working specific on defens, or that backfoot heavy styl doent match with you.

on thing of your foot work:
sometimes you step and land the frotn foot very much on the heel.
the same happens when you lean forward and move the weight to the front foot and spin. your toes are pulled up and leave the ground - resulting in a spin over the heel.
imo that leads to less balance and lenghten your reaction time if you decide to jump back.

have you sparred yet? I doubt it because that "style" youre employing would get you lit up fast. Keep it simple and work on the foundations.

The one major thing i see is that you throw your head forward sometimes when you throw a left cross. Keep that head back and rotate with your body. tuck your chin down and use that arm/shoulder that your throwing as defense for the split second its out there too.

In your backfoot heavy stance, you go too far back and end up on your heels. Someone would push you over in the heat of battle.

Hmm this is starting to look just like your last thread..
Maybe you can push the pace a little more I know you are trying to work slow to build a solid foundation of technique but if you are barley sweaty after 6 rounds you could probably go harder

Thanks for the comments, guys.
Zapataxiv, at the end of the 6 rounds my arms were practically dead. I spent like 4 rounds before recording this on the speedbag. I can assure you that i worked really hard.

Nuke, I've given you a ton of shit before, but a lot of the criticism here is unwarranted. Your lateral movement deserves some credit, especially when you're moving to your right, you're very sharp. You're trying to do the same thing when moving left, but you're occasionally dragging your feet or landing heel first and it trips you up when you shift direction.
You probably should have posted the pressure and volume videos first, they are a lot better because you're not working on those giant explosive movements and your technique (especially your crosses) look a lot better in those videos because you're not flinging yourself everywhere.

Thanks for the comments, guys.
Zapataxiv, at the end of the 6 rounds my arms were practically dead. I spent like 4 rounds before recording this on the speedbag. I can assure you that i worked really hard.

kool
heres abit of training programming advice if you want it
if your main goal for a short training period is to work technical stuff on the heavy bag than 4 rounds of speed bag before heavy bag work might not be optimal use of your time.
Its a little like lifting if your main lift for the day is bench you dont put in sets in incline,dips pull ups etc before you bench because it will burn you out before you start. instead you could do something like 1 round of speed bag to warm up and get the blood flowing then do heavy bag and then put in 3-4 rounds of speed bag. That way you get warmed up get to put your work in and then get to finish up with some accessory work.

kool
heres abit of training programming advice if you want it
if your main goal for a short training period is to work technical stuff on the heavy bag than 4 rounds of speed bag before heavy bag work might not be optimal use of your time.
Its a little like lifting if your main lift for the day is bench you dont put in sets in incline,dips pull ups etc before you bench because it will burn you out before you start. instead you could do something like 1 round of speed bag to warm up and get the blood flowing then do heavy bag and then put in 3-4 rounds of speed bag. That way you get warmed up get to put your work in and then get to finish up with some accessory work.

I think he was being sarcastic, Zap. There were two notable posters in the past who gave excuses for their sloppy performances in their videos because they had been powerlifting earlier.

It wasnt sarcastic lol. But that isnt any excuse for any sloppiness i displayed in the vids. Just to make sure you guys know that i wasnt just coasting it. On the other hand, i should have a better training plan. But thanks for the critique, Jukai.

It's a weak critique because you're a higher level boxer than me, but it's better than "omg have you even sparred?"

Your English has improved dramatically.

Edit: realised that sounded snarky. I haven't watched the vids as work WiFi is too slow.

Back