Heart Rate Monitor setup

4daLuLZ

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was using me old Timex Ironman plus chest strap for heart rate monitoring and after 10 long years it’s given up the ghost.

Now all I see are Fitbit trackers and shitty armband and wrist watches hooked to your smartphone. What gives ?

Are chest straps / watch combos old school ?
And can anyone help me out with a cheap (super cheap option ?
I’m thinking the Polar H9 (60 bucks) but the watches are like 2-300 bucks ?!!
Any cheaper options ?

Reactions: Gio
Depends what you use it for.

I believe that chest straps are still the most accurate.

I've got a Polar H10 now. Works for everything that I do (grappling, sparring, weights, running). It can be inconvenient but it's not much more time as you already know. Bear in mind you can't use a watch while grappling or the like.

I have a smart watch that does the rest anyways and just ordered a ring (Ultrahuman Ring Ai for those curious) that'll get here in a few weeks just to try out for all that other stuff.

Depends what you use it for.

I believe that chest straps are still the most accurate.

I've got a Polar H10 now. Works for everything that I do (grappling, sparring, weights, running). It can be inconvenient but it's not much more time as you already know. Bear in mind you can't use a watch while grappling or the like.

I have a smart watch that does the rest anyways and just ordered a ring (Ultrahuman Ring Ai for those curious) that'll get here in a few weeks just to try out for all that other stuff.

I just mainly use it for running.

Chest straps are more accurate though I hear watches are getting closer. I believe most of the accuracy issues are related to them moving when you move and losing contact.

Comes down to personal preference and how much accuracy is required. If you want it super accurate, I'd recommend a strap.

Other thing to consider is the benefit of smart watch features that may or may not be important to you

Get the strap but know that it is not going to be 100 percent accurate when you move around.

Chest straps are more accurate though I hear watches are getting closer. I believe most of the accuracy issues are related to them moving when you move and losing contact.

Comes down to personal preference and how much accuracy is required. If you want it super accurate, I'd recommend a strap.

Other thing to consider is the benefit of smart watch features that may or may not be important to you

I prefer the chest straps.
Im looking for recommendations for a cheap setup. Especially for the watch part of it.

Something to pair with a Polar H9 maybe ?

Years ago I bought a Garmin watch for cheap that had ceased production and it came with a chest strap. think a lot of their products do. I dont have it anymore just because the battery died after about 7 years of heavy use. So I can't recommend a specific setup but you might want to look for Garmin discontinued product sales which would probably get you the whole integrated setup. My 2 cents.

I bought a Polar H10 strap off Amazon and an m400 watch of Craigslist.
Hopefully that works.

Back