Hearns-Leonard II was pretty solid

XThe GreatestX

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
and I do think Tommy won but Ray fought much better than I remembered. Ray did look to be shitting himself after that second knockdown tho....But came back well in the 12th

It's a close fight, not the robbery people enjoy complaining about. And it's a pretty good one indeed.

Great fight between aging greats ….Definitely thought Hearns won ….. Leonard thinks Hearns won lol ….. but fun fight , where Leonard had some big moments, just not enough imo

Great fight and if you give ray two ten eight rounds for when he had tommy wobbling, very close. Still think tommy was robbed but he never complained, just one more reason to be a fan of his.

I felt like the fight went pretty much the same way as their first fight, except that Leonard had obviously slowed down.

He still seemed to be well on his way to a stoppage if the fight had been scheduled for 15 rounds. 12 rounds would've favoured Hearns in their primes also.

Keep in mind that Hearns still outboxed Virgil Hill 2 years later so he was far from washed up. Leonard in my opinion was more washed up at this point but he had a lot of guts and could dig down deep when needed.

I felt like the fight went pretty much the same way as their first fight, except that Leonard had obviously slowed down.

He still seemed to be well on his way to a stoppage if the fight had been scheduled for 15 rounds. 12 rounds would've favoured Hearns in their primes also.

Keep in mind that Hearns still outboxed Virgil Hill 2 years later so he was far from washed up. Leonard in my opinion was more washed up at this point but he had a lot of guts and could dig down deep when needed.

That was mentioned in the press at the time and was probably true. Tommy did learn to hold on for dear life by that point though and maybe he could have made it.

the reason people thought tommy was done was he had a controversial win with James "The Heat" Kinchen and the kayo against Barkley. That along with the two brutal losses to Ray and Marvin made people think he was on the way out. Tommy Hearns was noteworthy for a fighter who overcame losses and came through still being able to win big fights. It's one of the things that makes him special in my mind.

That was mentioned in the press at the time and was probably true. Tommy did learn to hold on for dear life by that point though and maybe he could have made it.

the reason people thought tommy was done was he had a controversial win with James "The Heat" Kinchen and the kayo against Barkley. That along with the two brutal losses to Ray and Marvin made people think he was on the way out. Tommy Hearns was noteworthy for a fighter who overcame losses and came through still being able to win big fights. It's one of the things that makes him special in my mind.

Hearns-Barkley was the definition of "getting caught" in my opinion. He was lighting Barkley up like a Christmas tree before that, looking about as sharp as ever. Never saw the Kinchen fight but Hearns was probably gunshy after getting caught by Barkley.

At 175 lbs he seemed more filled out and durable. He didn't really have a problem with absorbing Barkley's punches in their rematch.

Back