Healthy sauces/toppings for pasta?

TexDeuce

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Ok I love pasta. I love fettuccini alfredo as much as anything in the world. I know alfredo sauce isn't good for me so I only eat it occasionally.

I have started eating whole grain noodles which I don't mind at all, and have been adding olive oil to help with the taste. What other healthy toppings/sauces can I eat with my pasta so that I can have some variety?

I'd say any tomato based sauce .. i think cream has more calories but i can't exlain why i forgot :)

If you make your own sause doing say:

Getting a big fry pan and adding

little bit of olive oil
Tommato's
Garlic
green pepper
red pepper
onions
diced chicken breast

Fry it up and throw it on top,

It will be very chunky but it would be a healthy way to add a "sause" per-say

Tex, do you have to cook the whole wheat pasta longer? I'm thinking of switching to it. Haven't been eating much pasta this year...just due to all the refined carbs.

I like Bizz's recipe. I used to go even simpler...

-Open a can of crushed tomatoes (you can also chop us a bunch of whole, very red/ripe ones in a blender if you want it your sauce fresh)
-Crush or finely chop a clove of garlic, set aside.
-Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in saucepan over medium heat until hot, then toss the garlic in, and cook for 20-30 seconds...avoid "browning" the garlic. You just want the oil to pick up the flavor To stop the garlic from cooking further, toss in the crushed tomatoes.
-add a little salt and pepper to taste, optionally add some basil -or- oregano.
-simmer for 15 minutes. (you can cook sauces longer, which will reduce the acidity, but will also reduce some of the vitamins).
-add to your pasta

Cooking tomatoes with some oil is actually healthier than eating fresh tomatoes....at least for the anti-oxident lycopine (the cooking and the oil increases the bioavailability when digested).

I almost always eat some protein with that pasta too. A little romano cheese sprinked on the top just for taste (a tablespoon doesn't add much fat), and some chicken or fish on the side.

Grady said:
Tex, do you have to cook the whole wheat pasta longer? I'm thinking of switching to it. Haven't been eating much pasta this year...just due to all the refined carbs.

No, it cooks in 12 minutes and the box says do not overcook. It is a bit different but after a few times of eating it I have gotten used to it. I like it even more because I know it is healthy.

Back