Headgear for Muay Thai: Mexican Style Headgear -OR- Face Saver Headgear

gauzyhanz

White Belt
Reaction score
I am considering buying my own head gear for Muay Thai. I have done my research. I boiled down my choices to these two head gears:

Traditional_Head_4e92807c45600.jpg

^
Cleto Reyes Traditional Headgear with Nylon Face Bar

FG-2900.jpg

^
Winning FG-2900

Mainly, I am conidering a face bar headgear b/c I faced a guy from another gym (Boxing) and, as my coach explained, he broke part of my nose cartilage. I though it was broken although I had no swelling, and there is still a little dent in my nose. So I just don't want to be an idiot and wait for the day I break my nose in sparring.
If I was purely boxing it would be no question and I would be going for the Cleto face bar. But, on the other hand if a face bar design would impead my vision too much for Muay Thai, such as certain kicks or clench stuff, I'm thinking I will have to settle for the best Mexican style headgear out there. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
I'd say go for the reyes. the bar sticks out more so than others, thus giving better vision for kicks I suppose, plus the fg 2900 only partially protects the nose

Someone will probably know more than I do about this but it's been pretty well proven that while head gear does well to protect against cosmetic/dermal damage and head butts, the amount of impact they actually reduce is minimal. Applying this to the face bar, I don't see how it would help prevent breaking your nose if you get popped really good. Additionally, having better vision would, in theory, give you the heads up needed to avoid more face shots. Just my 2 cents, I hate those face bars anyway so I'm biased and have found semi legitimate validation for my hatred lol. But it is something to think about.

fg-2900. the bar is cleto is great for boxing, but when it comes down to kicks you won't be able to tell its coming

You know what, just see a doctor. I would advise not to spar. if you do, make sure it's less than 50%. (if your gym goes by that).

If you go to a gym that every sparring session is like at 75-80% like mine, then just don't spar at all till you see a doctor

Someone will probably know more than I do about this but it's been pretty well proven that while head gear does well to protect against cosmetic/dermal damage and head butts, the amount of impact they actually reduce is minimal. Applying this to the face bar, I don't see how it would help prevent breaking your nose if you get popped really good.

by stopping any contact with the nose presumably? that's why people get facesavers - so you don't get hit in the face

by stopping any contact with the nose presumably? that's why people get facesavers - so you don't get hit in the face

I don't see how anything bud good movement stops you from getting hit in the face. A face saver simply puts something between the fist and your face, it doesn't stop anything except cuts. My point is that since the foam headgear are made of only minimally reduces impact on the receiving end, taking a shot to the nose will still damage your nose face saver or not. You can still get KOd wearing head gear, and it's no stretch of the imagination to think you can still get your nose broken with a bar of thick, heavy padding over it. I'm not trying to be sassy though, if anyone has any better experience do weigh in.

I don't see how anything bud good movement stops you from getting hit in the face. A face saver simply puts something between the fist and your face, it doesn't stop anything except cuts. My point is that since the foam headgear are made of only minimally reduces impact on the receiving end, taking a shot to the nose will still damage your nose face saver or not.
If something is between your face and a fist then your face isn't getting hit, so neither is your nose. That's pretty obviously an advantage if you don't want your nose broken.

The impact isn't likely to be taken by your nose if your nose cannot actually be touched. If your nose was all squashed up against the bar it would take the shock after the bar has but that's not how it should be.

Consider

image-2.php-88.jpg

A gloved fist isn't going to reach the nose of the mannequin here and its concussive force will be taken by the bar and forehead, so none of that shock will be absorbed by the nose because nothing is making contact with it. Even if the tip of your nose is left out there and gets hit that's better than the punch being able to crash straight through and squash it, and the punch is likely to make contact with the bar which'll take some of the force away even if it does clip your nose.

Everybody knows you can still get KOd in headguards but that's not relevant here, and I'm not saying it means 100% you aren't going to get a broken nose, just that it reduces the likelihood of that happening.

Last edited:
Facebar. I alternate open face and facebars for muay thai. I currently spar with a Winning FG5000 for boxing and muay thai and it works well. It's harder to see front kicks, but once you get use to seeing through the bar, you'll be fine like me. I have a JC Pacheco facebar from the Mexican boxing thread and it's pretty good at nose protection with lots of room. You can also use the Reyes too. All solid choices.

Last edited:
SkribbLe said:
You know what, just see a doctor. I would advise not to spar. if you do, make sure it's less than 50%. (if your gym goes by that).

If you go to a gym that every sparring session is like at 75-80% like mine, then just don't spar at all till you see a doctor

I think I'm good with seeing a doctor. The actually time I got my so called cartilage broken was quite a few months ago; my nose has been healed up for quite some time. Also, the damage isn't really noticable unless you look really close and my breathing is fine.

Motofantomx said:
Someone will probably know more than I do about this but it's been pretty well proven that while head gear does well to protect against cosmetic/dermal damage and head butts, the amount of impact they actually reduce is minimal. Applying this to the face bar, I don't see how it would help prevent breaking your nose if you get popped really good. Additionally, having better vision would, in theory, give you the heads up needed to avoid more face shots. Just my 2 cents, I hate those face bars anyway so I'm biased and have found semi legitimate validation for my hatred lol. But it is something to think about.
Motofantomx said:
I don't see how anything bud good movement stops you from getting hit in the face. A face saver simply puts something between the fist and your face, it doesn't stop anything except cuts. My point is that since the foam headgear are made of only minimally reduces impact on the receiving end, taking a shot to the nose will still damage your nose face saver or not. You can still get KOd wearing head gear, and it's no stretch of the imagination to think you can still get your nose broken with a bar of thick, heavy padding over it. I'm not trying to be sassy though, if anyone has any better experience do weigh in.

Well, I believe this style headgear does protect the nose better being that the headgear has a steel frame through it. Also, head movement would help but ppl get caught, especially novices like me.

Deathstriker said:
Facebar. I alternate open face and facebars for muay thai. I currently spar with a Winning FG5000 for boxing and muay thai and it works well. It's harder to see front kicks, but once you get use to seeing through the bar, you'll be fine like me. I have a JC Pacheco facebar from the Mexican boxing thread and it's pretty good at nose protection with lots of room. You can also use the Reyes too. All solid choices.

Well, it's good to hear that it's doable. I'm ordering the Cleto then, I just wanna find a lace up rear closure rather than the hook and loop rear closure that is mainly available.

Last edited:
Interesting I didn't realize those had a steel frame, that would definitely help! I stand corrected.

I'm ordering the Cleto then, I just wanna find a lace up rear closure rather than the hook and loop rear closure that is mainly available.

Current Reyes models only have velcros in the back, they don't make laces anymore. Consider ordering Deathstriker's JC Pacheco combo of groin protector and headgear. They look great and I am sure he will work with you in the price.

Just my 2 cents
Gus

May want to consider waiting until the release of Golden Gear's new line The Collection pre sale late jan ships mid Feb.

_MG_2979_2_f_zps8a0eb2cf.jpg

Interesting I didn't realize those had a steel frame, that would definitely help! I stand corrected.

actually I was wrong this partcular cleto face bar has a hard plastic frame, although the older versions, which look identical, have steel frames. I'm not sure which one I want yet.

Current Reyes models only have velcros in the back, they don't make laces anymore. Consider ordering Deathstriker's JC Pacheco combo of groin protector and headgear. They look great and I am sure he will work with you in the price.

Just my 2 cents
Gus

I could get the olders version with the steel frame; they have lace-up backs. Do you think the extra weight, how every much it may be, is worth it to get a lace-up back?

You don't headkick so much in MT.
Alot more leg kicks. Sometime with little mouvement.
Big bar impair too much vision.

I would suggest 2nd one.
My Boon helm has about the same shape.

Get one with a completely open face. I was forced to fight in one of those damn face-cages in my first fight, and I couldn't see the guy's lower body. It was terrible (obviously you can adjust by looking further down into the stomach from the chest, but it isn't like having no headgear on at all).

My next fight I got the open face gear, and all was well.

I could get the olders version with the steel frame; they have lace-up backs. Do you think the extra weight, how every much it may be, is worth it to get a lace-up back?

Don't think so...I would probably suggest something like the Golden Gear headgear posted above. It is inspired by the Winning FG2900, which offers just enough nose protection without obstructing the vision too much.

If you go for the Reyes, you gotta go with the nylon bar, despite the velcros. Unless you are a heavyweight and do not mind the added weight.

Don't think so...I would probably suggest something like the Golden Gear headgear posted above. It is inspired by the Winning FG2900, which offers just enough nose protection without obstructing the vision too much.

If you go for the Reyes, you gotta go with the nylon bar, despite the velcros. Unless you are a heavyweight and do not mind the added weight.

I like velcro better than laces, but that's just me.

I like velcro better than laces, but that's just me.

I guess it depends on the size and shape of your head. If you are lucky to have a standard shape and size and the headgear just falls into place for you than velcros are just more convenient, but if you have a large head or need more adjustability laces will be better.

Back