Having trouble advancing when sparring in MT

when you're getting tagged are you bringing your hands back up after you strike or are you not? make sure you bring your hands back up to your head after you hit or attempt to

Slugger mentions something really important here. The reason is because in the beginning when you do bagwork or padwork, because those don't hit back it's easy to throw strikes and then don't bring your hands back to your head.

Next time you work on the heavybag, make a hard effort to visualize the bag is hitting back, and shield yourself after each combo you throw against it.

Also, use that sway of the heavy bag. As the heavy bag sways back and forth imagine it's an opponent advancing and retreating. When the bag is swaying away from you go in for the kill, when it sways back sidestep or pivot out, or back up and guard up

Good advice here, maybe you can help me too. The problem I have with a certain guy when sparring is that whenever I get close he automatically uses his push kick to keep me away. I tried to just take it and then attack, but the problem is he really pushes me away with all his power so it's like a cycle all the time. So far the only thing that works is waiting for him to attack and then counter. Is there any way I can advance with a minimal risk of getting pushed away? Thanks in advance.

Parry the push kick, if you don't know how, ask your trainer. If you parry it right and follow up with a kick, it'll make him think twice about using the push kick.

Just to add to this a litte:

Keep moving, keep alert, and beware of falling into a pattern of straight line fighitng, eg he attacks, then moves out of range, you move in, attack, get out of range etc.

You will find you 'see' things a lot better when you move more, especially to the sides, and because of the angles you create you will surprise yourself as 'targets' on your opponent will open up.

Take a slight step back as he starts the push kick and catch it.

Good advice here, maybe you can help me too. The problem I have with a certain guy when sparring is that whenever I get close he automatically uses his push kick to keep me away. I tried to just take it and then attack, but the problem is he really pushes me away with all his power so it's like a cycle all the time. So far the only thing that works is waiting for him to attack and then counter. Is there any way I can advance with a minimal risk of getting pushed away? Thanks in advance.

in order to get teeped you must be standing in front of your opponent... work on circling and creating angles with combinations and footwork. a teep that misses the target leaves openings.

Back