Having a training regrets mid life crisis

My point still stands. It is a fact that almost no hand-to-hand combat takes place on the battlefield which is now, always has been and always will be ruled by weapons. Even before gun powder made it's way into the hands of warmongers people still fought with edged weapons and on horseback. Once a person was without his weapons and facing an enemy who had his weaponry intact it was over. He either was killed or became a prisoner. This is how it is today as well. Thus, it is still my understanding that the Martial Arts were formulated by commoners for commoners.

You see this is the big bone of contention for me because martial arts includes all forms of fighting training including weapons which means that they include soldiers too not just commoners. If you think martial arts only means hand to hand then your point makes more sense but then I'd disagree that martial arts only mean hand to hand.

My point still stands. It is a fact that almost no hand-to-hand combat takes place on the battlefield which is now, always has been and always will be ruled by weapons. Even before gun powder made it's way into the hands of warmongers people still fought with edged weapons and on horseback. Once a person was without his weapons and facing an enemy who had his weaponry intact it was over. He either was killed or became a prisoner. This is how it is today as well. Thus, it is still my understanding that the Martial Arts were formulated by commoners for commoners.

The battlefield today has changed drastically and it's a lot more about tactical bombing, sniping, and holding positions with machine guns than anything. But guess what the army still trains hand-to-hand. However if you look at special forces and anti terrorist groups, hand-to-hand combat is trained extensively.

You're missing the point that martial arts always included weapons. The medieval martial arts were weaponry, how to use a sword, a bow, an axe etc. Same with most other martial arts even including the grappling. The samurai had Jujutsu among many other weapon mastering arts and they trained how to handle attacks from someone with weapons, disarming etc. Martial Arts were created for war, not by some commoners who wanted to defend themselves. Do some research.

You see this is the big bone of contention for me because martial arts includes all forms of fighting training including weapons which means that they include soldiers too not just commoners. If you think martial arts only means hand to hand then your point makes more sense but then I'd disagree that martial arts only mean hand to hand.

Now I understand where you are coming from. You and I were operating with two different definitions of martial arts. With the definition and understanding you provided it seems to make more sense. But I also know that many martial arts were designed for and intended to be used by people who are without weapons (for whatever reasons). But to avoid confusion in the future perhaps distinctions should be made between Martial Arts which include weapons and I guess what we can refer to as Hand-to-Hand Combat Arts when we post?

Last edited:
have some fights in the masters division or white collar boxing or whatever it's called wherever you live.

That's my plan, my shoulder has been fucked for a solid year and i haven't been able to box, so now my goal is compete in the masters when i'm 40. I'm 37 now. If my shoulder isn't healed by then, it wont be ever.

Until then i'm competing in BJJ (for some reason my shoulder doesn't mind it so much). Find something you love and just do it, no excuses = no regrets.

have some fights in the masters division or white collar boxing or whatever it's called wherever you live.

That's my plan, my shoulder has been fucked for a solid year and i haven't been able to box, so now my goal is compete in the masters when i'm 40. I'm 37 now. If my shoulder isn't healed by then, it wont be ever.

Until then i'm competing in BJJ (for some reason my shoulder doesn't mind it so much). Find something you love and just do it, no excuses = no regrets.

Sounds like a good plan to me. My right shoulder still gives me problems. A few years ago I was playing tug of war with my friends pit bull and his rope and he yanked my arm pretty hard and tore my shoulder up. I was foolishness enough to still go to Judo classes with my shoulder all messed up. So I wised up and took almost two months off until I felt I can still train comfortably.

Point is that sometimes mistakes can be made when we act stubbornly and try to force an issue. I think if TS carefully reads your post he will realize that there is almost always a way to work around things to keep moving ahead. Do what you can with whatever circumstances you have and there should be no regrets.

Back