Having a problem when going up against taller guys

ASPNTXWRX

White Belt
Reaction score
I have been training for about 6 months now and I find myself getting trapped by taller guys (6' +)if they get the mount on me. I am 5'8 and about 185lbs.

If they grapevine their legs around mine and just lay their weight on my head, I start getting claustrophobic and I panic. In hindsight, I could probably use my hands and arms more in tight to take some of the pressure off.

Besides working on the mental side of this problem, is there an escape that I can use where I don't have to bridge much?

Thanks
RT

Why are you getting mounted in the first place..is your guard sloppy.? Good thing about tall guys is long limbs..suckers for arm and knee bars.

Yes. Work on your basic hip escape. Shrimp out hard to the side while framing against their leg.

DJGMuayThai said:
Why are you getting mounted in the first place..is your guard sloppy.? Good thing about tall guys is long limbs..suckers for arm and knee bars.

I will be the first to admit that I make a lot of mental errors and I lack the timing to get that arm bar from my back. Looks like I need to take a hard look at sweeps and practice technique. My instructor came out and told me that my technique needs to be a whole lot better (nearing perfection) if I expect to survive against the big guys.

The elbow escape should work against big guys. For the most part, big guys leave too much room for you and it's not hard to get underarms and legs positioned to your advantage. With smaller guys, upas work better, for me anyway. :)

Back