Havent seen this mentioned reg. Scholler at presser

paddy_da_pikey

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Hey, not seen this mentioned in my browsing and not gonna use search function ha

However the one comment aside from Diaz "Steriods" and McGregor "balloon animals" blablabla

was actually Schollers closing remarks of the Press Conference...

"We still have a limited amount of tickets available...."

STOP! Hold on, why isnt this being discussed?

McGregors last 2 fights at the MGM in Vegas sold out in seconds and did $6 million and $9million gates respectfully.... but now 10 days out they still had tickets left for the first superfight in 7 years including a fight with their biggest draw?

WTF happened? Did the lack of casual interest force them to change opponents at late stage? Or did a ton of Irish request refunds when the title fight was pulled and generally Irish make up 80%+ of a McGregor fight, so now maybe its like the company goes all in on McGregor but its a risk in that they only want to see McGregor fight for titles and will hand their tickets back when its just another fight?

Does nobody else find this surprising that McGregor isnt breaking more records with his biggest fight yet?

Last edited:
Guess people are tired of getting burned by these constantly "injured" Brazilians

Hey, not seen this mentioned in my browsing and not gonna use search function ha

However the one comment aside from Diaz "Steriods" and McGregor "balloon animals" blablabla

was actually Schollers closing remarks of the Press Conference...

"We still have a limited amount of tickets available...."

STOP! Hold on, why isnt this being discussed?

McGregors last 2 fights at the MGM in Vegas sold out in seconds and did $6 million and $9million gates respectfully.... but now 10 days out they still had tickets left for the first superfight in 7 years including a fight with their biggest draw?

WTF happened? Did the lack of casual interest force them to change opponents at late stage? Or did a ton of Irish request refunds when the title fight was pulled and generally Irish make up 805+ of a McGregor fight, so now maybe its like the company goes all in on McGregor but its a risk in that they only want to see McGregor fight for titles and will hand their tickets back when its just another fight?

Does nobody else find this surprising that McGregor isnt breaking more records with his biggest fight yet?

Maybe the Brazillians pulled after their champion pulled. Why are you blaming the Irish. In fact - why is Conor getting any hate for this whatsoever.

RDA PULLED, NOT CONOR.

Maybe the Brazillians pulled after their champion pulled. Why are you blaming the Irish. In fact - why is Conor getting any hate for this whatsoever.

RDA PULLED, NOT CONOR.
Where is the hate? Where is the blame?

The facts are at McGregors last 2 main event fights Dana White suggested more than 80% of the tickets were Irish fans therefore I had no reason to believe this would be any different as Aldo is a bigger star than Dos Anjos.

The point I was making if it is lost on you is I am surprised there are tickets left at all this close to a McGregor fight and I have no doubt that is not something the UFC or McGregor would have planned for.

I am just pondering the reasons for this and am interested to hear others input

Maybe the claims that the last shows sold out immediately were bullshit all along?

Maybe people remember his last fight was 13 seconds long and have seen the rest of the card, doesn't scream "gotta be there for this" to me.

Can't wait to watch at home, though.

The facts are at McGregors last 2 main event fights Dana White suggested more than 80% of the tickets were Irish fans therefore I had no reason to believe this would be any different as Aldo is a bigger star than Dos Anjos.

The point I was making if it is lost on you is I am surprised there are tickets left at all this close to a McGregor fight and I have no doubt that is not something the UFC or McGregor would have planned for.

I am just pondering the reasons for this and am interested to hear others input

Okay - you just don't know how ticket sales work so I'll keep it brief.

A certain percentage of tickets are held back for various reasons, Radio promotions, Online competitions, Partners (Fox etc.). When these are no longer needed or are not going to be utilised, they get thrown back into the mix.

Not saying this is what happened here, but it's one of the reasons you hear 'X Concert is sold out' and then closer to the date, more tickets are released.

Maybe the claims that the last shows sold out immediately were bullshit all along?
I believe they were sold out however I will say that 189 had significantly more Irish at it than 194. The weigh ins at 189 had a full MGM for weigh ins, 194 had only half full and Rogan said there were less Irish there.

Now that is only 2 months after 194 maybe the loyal Irish are experiencing 'McGregor Fatigue' as thats 3 trips in 7 months to vegas for the most loyal and thats a lot of money from Ireland including flights, hotels, spending money and ufc tickets - approx $2000 + per event minimum

Maybe the Brazillians pulled after their champion pulled.

I don't know the return policy of UFC tickets, but I highly doubt you can simply get a refond even if the main event changes.

EDIT : well, it is in fact possible.

Last edited:
You cant except Irish to fly there every three months.

They should have scheduled the big Ireland stadium event already.

Ive said before that Mcgregor may be a product of the UFC hype machine and his numbers were drastically inflated by marketing and super cards.

No doubt he's a draw but you have to take things in to account.

he was on the biggest card of 2015, a super card with the most marketing dollars ever spent on an event, a world tour, etc.. by the time Aldo pulled out most people were already invested in the card and the fight with Mendes (whos stock was at an all time high going to war with aldo the fight before) was a good replacement and still a title fight (interim), it was also a dual title fight card with rory vs lawler and a whole bunch of other good fights.

Then he basically got to double down on that card by facing Aldo again only this time Aldo didn't pull out. The card was another super card with many great fights and another dual title fight card. Also a lot of marketing went in to the card again.

Now he's fighting on another card but now it's not for a title, even though he's a champion. The card overall is relatively weak but it's another dual title fight card which will help prop it up. I haven't seen as much crazy marketing for this fight either.

This cards PPV buys will be a more realistic and accurate representation of what Conor can draw. If the card hasn't sold out the arena that's interesting. i wonder how many people the arena can hold

I don't know the return policy of UFC tickets, but I highly doubt you can simply get a refond even if the main event changes.

Well, you can. It depends on the State. Nevada law:

NRS 467.030) Change or substitution involving main event: Notice by promoter; refund of price of ticket; approval of substitution

1.  The promoter of a program of unarmed combat shall, if possible:

(a) Notify the Commission and the news media of any change or substitution involving a contest or exhibition that was announced or advertised as the main event of the program; and

(b) Provide such notice at least 24 hours before the first contest or exhibition of the program.

Ê The promoter shall also conspicuously post the change or substitution at the box office of the premises where the program is to be held and cause the change or substitution to be announced from the ring or, if the program is being held in a fenced area, from the fenced area, before the first contest or exhibition of the program.

2.  If such a change or substitution occurs and any patron desires to have the price of his or her ticket refunded, the promoter must refund the patron’s money if the patron presents the ticket or the ticket stub at the box office before the opening contest or exhibition of the program is scheduled to begin. The box office must remain open a reasonable length of time to redeem such tickets.

Actually it has nothing to do with refunds. There were a bunch of tickets available before RDA pulled out.

During the Cerrone fight on Sunday they had commercials for 196 and at the end they said "tickets still available".

I think the reality is that Conor's Irish fanbase doesn't have an unlimited amount of money. They're blue collar folks who want to support their countrymen, not jet setting millionaires. Blew a TON of money last year on his last two fights.

Dana said 10% of the tickets were Irish fans. 10%.

Actually it has nothing to do with refunds. There were a bunch of tickets available before RDA pulled out.

During the Cerrone fight on Sunday they had commercials for 196 and at the end they said "tickets still available".

I think the reality is that Conor's Irish fanbase doesn't have an unlimited amount of money. They're blue collar folks who want to support their countrymen, not jet setting millionaires. Blew a TON of money last year on his last two fights.

Yep that's pretty much it. You're talking about $800 for the return flight alone. It's a gruelingly long fight to take twice over the space of a weekend, probably with a connect from JFK NYC too. Plus you have to get time off work, and constantly get permission from the missus to jet off to Vegas with a bunch of lads every few months.

Also, the 196 card isn't the best, even had RDA showed up. 194 wasn't particularly strong either, though 189 was one of the best ever.

I would think the lack of promoting the fight has alot to do with this.

Every other Mcgregor fight has been plastered everywhere. Not this one though.

It's simple; Conor's fan base comes from Ireland and he only fought 3 months ago.

It's expensive to fly to Vegas every 3 months
Maybe people are waiting for UFC 200 in July

Gate is more important than attendance. Conor said it's looking like this will bring $13 million. Vegas tickets are expensive so gates can be high with low attendance numbers. UFC 194 didn't have as high attendance as 189 yet it had a higher gate. I'm not sure 194 sold out if it had significantly lower attendance than 189

Brazilian fans who bought the tickets pulling out. Is normal.

Back