have you ever broken a rib?

Paige

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I've had bruised ribs before, but tonight when I was training I was in the midddle of a scramble during a light roll and heard a loud crack. I immediatly stopped grappling and layed back on the mat with sweat poring out of every where. It took me a good 20 min to be able to sit up again.

It hurts when I breathe, walk or try to bend over. I'm def visiting the local walk in clinic first thing tomorrow morning. I'm icing the shit out of it untill I can get an x-ray.

Do you's think I broke one or more of my ribs?

Have you guys ever experienced anything like this?

How long where you out of commission for?

sorry beautiful :icon_sad: hope you feel better soon

Maybe maybe not, who the hell knows but a doctor. At least that's what I said when it happened to me. I was out for like 4 weeks maybe 5. I never went and got it actually looked at by a doctor. But I'm pretty sure it was broken. Just take it easy and some advil. Not much you can really do.

thanx for the input guys. I'm pretty tough for a girl. I'll still get my blue belt before 2009. I'l just have to take a well deserved vacation from Joo-Jits

:(

I've popped cartilage before three times, twice on my left, once on my right.

It hurt to breathe, move, laugh, cough, etc. You might have done this as well, the pop is somehwat audible.

About 3-4 weeks to heal.

Don't sneeze, I hurt mine real bad but never went to a doctor. So I don't know what I had, all I know was it hurt bad for a while. It blows my mind when you hear about people doing things (playing football, fighting ect.) with broken ribs. I thought I was going to die just reaching for a glass or something.

Yah, I've popped some cartalage a couple times on both sides. Core injuries suck because you can't really work around them. I did my right side pretty bad a year and a half ago and it is still a little deformed today, although in the last couple months i have stopped noticing it when I roll. Is there a large pump or deformity around where it hurt? And do you have a sharp stabbing pain on the inside when you breathe? Or more like stretching type pain on the outside around the injury when the area moves?

I remember the doctor asking these questions and saying the sharp stabbing pain was usually indicative of a broken rib. He also said any rib injury should be looked at immediatly because a broken rib could rupture internal organs, particularly your lungs.

no but my prof did and still managed to teach me the osoto gari by example and didtn seem to mind when i did it back with good form as he said. hes a beast

Sounds like they're broken.

I had mine broken once, two of em. I started tapping insanely while gasping out, "I'm okay, I'm okay." like I was trying to convince myself.

It hurt to sit down. It was damned near impossible for me to unlock the passenger side door in my car while sitting in the drivers seat.

I posted the following in another thread about the same topic, so I thought I would share them in this thread as well. Hope some of the information can be of some aid to someone.

Subluxation of rib cartilage, at the costo-chondral junction, causing pain and audible click.

I have cracked my ribs on both sides. The first time, I was rolling with a gi, and dude had my back with a figure four locked in. I made a rookie mistake of turning into him without considering how tight his figure four around my waist was. We both heard pop, pop. That was close to the worst pain I've ever experienced. I have a noticable protrusion over my ribs at the costo-chontral junction (a little to the left of my sternum). It never went back into place.

Another time a training partner who out-weighed my by 80 or so lbs was trying to pass my guard and he stacked me then twisted my legs to the side. Again, pop, pop. On my right side of the sternum is an even larger rib protrusion. That one didn't hurt so bad.

Long story short. My ribs are fucked. I have to do a lot of ab work to keep my core strong. My ribs can get injured any time and there's nothing I can do about it. As I type this post, my ribs hurt because I'm rehabing my back and I've been doing some core strengthening and stretching.

On major negative is that my wrestling ability declined. I don't have that core stability to wrestle an opponent over when we're face to face on our knees. But a major positive of the rib injuries is that I was forced to work on my sweeps so that I could get top position. Now my butterfly sweeps are sick, going both ways.

Train careful and keep your core strong.

http://www.prolonews.com/slipping_rib_syndrome.htm

Found this link. The article is good. It's written by an M.D. He calls the symptoms "slipping rib syndrome." I can relate to the symptoms described in this article. I thought it was interesting how he described the situation of referred pain from injury to the ribs in the front of your body all the way around to your back.

^^^^^^
Very good post.

A little more than a year ago, I overstreched an intercostal muscle while wrestling.

That's the worst rib injury I got so far, and it was enough to keep me away from the mat for 1,5 month.

It healed completely, because I was patient and smart about it : let it rest.

I heard some horror stories of rib injuries that never healed cause the dude continued training.

I went and got x-rays done at 7 this morning. I fractured my 8th rib on my left side closer to my spine. My doc said it was a strange break becuase usaully the ribs break on the side of your body (where they are the weakest) or seperate from the cartilage. He told me I may have injured it previous to last night and then it snapped from the right amount of pressure in the wrong place.

The first thing he did was listen to my lungs to make sure nothing was punctured and my breathing sounded normal. Injuring your ribs is serious guys. They house many of your major organs. He said I was lucky that I didn't puncture my spleen.

Yeah, it hurts like hell and it's part of the life style, but it doesn't make you a pussy if you go to the doctor and actually care about what's going on inside the body that you have to live with for the rest of your life.

I am very small and only fight men that have 40+ lbs on me, but it's strictly technical rolling. I only get to fight other girls in my weight class when I compete, but in the end I'm out 4 to 6 weeks.

It's funny, but the dissapointment of not being able to train sucks a whole lot more than any pain I'm in right now.

I posted the following in another thread about the same topic, so I thought I would share them in this thread as well. Hope some of the information can be of some aid to someone.

That's some good information, thanks. Do you know of a good core strength work out to help me prevent injuries like this in the future?

I'm constantly working on my internal and external obliques, transverse abdomonis and rectus abdominis. What can I do to strengthen the muscles in my back?

That's some good information, thanks. Do you know of a good core strength work out to help me prevent injuries like this in the future?

I'm constantly working on my internal and external obliques, transverse abdomonis and rectus abdominis. What can I do to strengthen the muscles in my back?

You're welcome. It sounds like you are already doing a lot of work for your core muscles.

If you want to strengthen your back some more, some good exercises are deadlifts and barbell rows. For the deadlifts, just do a few sets of 10-12 reps. For the barbell rows, you can do a few sets of 12-15 reps.

Another great exercise for your ribs that was recommended to me by a brown belt from Vegas that had some rib problems is to do dumbell pullovers while lying on a bench.

If you don't want to use weights, you can use a medicine ball and place it on your chest when doing situps. Or you can use the medicine ball while lying on the mat and do pullovers. Hold the ball on your chest, push it up in the air over your chest by almost fully extending your arms (leave a little bend in the elbows), carry the ball over your head so that the ball can touch the mat behind your head, and then while flexing your lats, pull the ball back up to the starting position of the ball being extended up over your head. Repeat.

Another good exercise is to lay on your stomach and stretch your arms out all the way in front of your face like you're flying like superman. And do some flutters. That means, lifting your arms and feet slightly off the ground at the same time. Do a few sets of 20 reps. Don't be too jerky in this movement.

Another good exercise is to lay on your back and put your legs up in the air. Have a partner push your feet down to the mat, and then as soon as your feet get clost to the mat, raise them back up to your partners hands. Then your partner will repeat by pushing your legs back down. You can do this exercise under time. Whatever time is comfortable for you.

You can lay on the mat and pull yourself across the mat using only your arms. Laying flat on your stomach, shoot your arms forward and then pull them back while pulling yourself forward.

You can do leg raises by hanging from a pull-up bar or using the leg raise apparatus at a gym (the one where your legs hang from the apparatus while your forearms are supporting your weight and your hands are gripping a verticle handle.

Just make sure you give your ribs time to heal. From what I've learned by reading everyone's responses in threads like these is that the people that give themselves proper time to heal don't have the recurring problems later on. Then there are the stubborn ones like me that didn't wait long enough. Don't make that mistake.

I went and got x-rays done at 7 this morning. I fractured my 8th rib on my left side closer to my spine. My doc said it was a strange break becuase usaully the ribs break on the side of your body (where they are the weakest) or seperate from the cartilage. He told me I may have injured it previous to last night and then it snapped from the right amount of pressure in the wrong place.

The first thing he did was listen to my lungs to make sure nothing was punctured and my breathing sounded normal. Injuring your ribs is serious guys. They house many of your major organs. He said I was lucky that I didn't puncture my spleen.

Yeah, it hurts like hell and it's part of the life style, but it doesn't make you a pussy if you go to the doctor and actually care about what's going on inside the body that you have to live with for the rest of your life.

I am very small and only fight men that have 40+ lbs on me, but it's strictly technical rolling. I only get to fight other girls in my weight class when I compete, but in the end I'm out 4 to 6 weeks.

It's funny, but the dissapointment of not being able to train sucks a whole lot more than any pain I'm in right now.

I'm sorry to hear that you have a legitimate rib injury. I hope you feel better soon. And I can relate to what you said about the "the dissapointment of not being able to train sucks a whole lot more than any pain I'm in right now." I get injured often and the pain is nothing at this point. But that feeling of knowing that you have to wait until you can train and compete again sucks. Get better and before you know it, you'll have your blue belt.

Back