Hatton Says No

BobbyBrez

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Oscar trying to fight another smaller guy? Shocking.

ESPN - Hatton camp says timing wrong for fight with De La Hoya - Boxing

LONDON -- Junior welterweight champion Ricky Hatton has rejected an approach for a September bout against Oscar De La Hoya.

Don't count out a Ricky Hatton-Oscar De La Hoya matchup in September just yet. Hatton's rejection might be just a negotiating ploy, Dan Rafael writes, as he sums up De La Hoya's potential opponents. Blog

"It would be too soon, Richard only fought two weeks ago," Ray Hatton, the boxing champion's father and manager, told British Broadcasting Corp. Sport. "Oscar likes to fight in September because of Mexican Independence Day, but Richard is chilling out at the moment."

Hatton outpointeed Juan Lazcano on May 24 to retain the Ring magazine junior welterweight title and has an agreement in place for a fall fight against titleholder Paulie Malignaggi.

De La Hoya's scheduled Sept. 20 bout against Floyd Mayweather was canceled after Mayweather retired last week.

However, Hatton is hoping Mayweather will come out of retirement because he wants a chance to avenge a loss last December in a WBC welterweight title match. It was Hatton's first loss in 44 fights.

"Obviously, Richard would have liked to have gone over that ground again because he thinks he never gave it his best shot in the first fight," Ray Hatton said. "And you can never say never with Floyd, maybe if the money was there in 12 months he would change his mind."

anyone thinks he said no to get more money out of DLH?

What weight would they even fight at?
Hatton struggled at welter... is he supposed to move up to light middle?
Isn't Oscar struggling to make weight for light middle from middle?

It would have to be 147. It would be more suicide than it already is for Hatton to fight above there, and Oscar damn sure can't fight below that anymore.

He has to be doing this for more money, this is a huge payday that won't hurt his credibility as long as he does alright

So is oscar still looking to fight at 147 even with Floyd out of the picture?

This is seeming more and more like a GB/Mayweather collaboration. Why would oscar struggle to 147 for anyone but Floyd? He could fight Mora or Phillips at 1`54 and most likely win those fights.

Yo YO YO i heard that it might take place at the Rogers Centre in Toronto.

What so there,

The Fight Network

What an odd place to hold this fight. I am not a fan of either fighters but I would go if prices are reasonable because Im a boxing nerd. Very few locals would show, Malignaggi might bring 500 hundred from New York and Hatton 10k at best from Britain. They would get fewer fans then a regular Blue Jays game.

Air Canada Center is perfect for a big fight (20k capacity), but this fight won't sell out. Maybe if Molitor fights in a unification fight on the undercard, but then he should really be the main event in Toronto.

Oscar saw how Floyd dominated Hatton and feels he could do even better against him. Good for Hatton if he does really turn down Oscar.

I believe Oscar said he was ruling that fight out, due to it being a mismatch, a couple of weeks ago?
Mayweather Sr. said he is looking for a fight against the winner of Cotto Margarito. Seems like the way ODLH would end his career, he did always chase tough fights.

I believe Oscar said he was ruling that fight out, due to it being a mismatch, a couple of weeks ago?
Mayweather Sr. said he is looking for a fight against the winner of Cotto Margarito. Seems like the way ODLH would end his career, he did always chase tough fights.

For Oscar's sake,he better hope Cotto doesn't beat Margarito then. De LaHoya could beat Margarito though. Cotto is too strong and his heart is too big for DLH.

As if Tony is weak and has no heart.

As if Tony is weak and has no heart.

Tony does have heart. Not like Cotto,who has been hurt on numerous occasions only to still win. Tony doesn't have the power of Cotto. Tony just throws 1,000 punches a fight. Tony's hands aren't real fast either. I would definitely root for Margarito if he fought DLH. I just believe he'd be an easier fight than Cotto. You tell me which guy would be a tougher fight for Oscar? Tony or Cotto? Hell,I'd love to see DLH vs Paul Williams. Pacquiao and Hatton are just tooo small for DLH. DLH ought to be ashamed of himself for even trying to make either one of those fights.

Fighting either Cotto or Margarito would be a nice swan song for de la hoya. Always felt de la hoya was never given enough credit for consistently seeking out tough competition.

And it would be nice to see Cotto or Margarito get a big fucking payday.

What an odd place to hold this fight. I am not a fan of either fighters but I would go if prices are reasonable because Im a boxing nerd. Very few locals would show, Malignaggi might bring 500 hundred from New York and Hatton 10k at best from Britain. They would get fewer fans then a regular Blue Jays game.

Air Canada Center is perfect for a big fight (20k capacity), but this fight won't sell out. Maybe if Molitor fights in a unification fight on the undercard, but then he should really be the main event in Toronto.

If price was right i'd definatly be there

I know they have said they will not fight again, but De La Hoya vs Mosley III anyone?

Not like Cotto,who has been hurt on numerous occasions only to still win.

Tony's been down in the first round before, and been down in Fights he's come back to win.

Tony just throws 1,000 punches a fight.

He's by no means a volume slapper, he's got real stopping power, and unlike Cotto strengthens as the fight goes on. This is something Oscar never did.

You tell me which guy would be a tougher fight for Oscar?

I honestly think Tony would, I can't remember the last time I've ever seen Oscar fight someone as big, strong, accurate with his punches, and busy as Tony, who is also tough and walked through Cintron right-hands with relative ease.

And most importantly, came at Oscar for 12 rounds like he wanted to kill him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back