Has the UFC welterweight division really evolved in the last 10 years?

Just about every sports league in the world is pushing the “ it’s evolving “ narrative right now .
What there saying is the product right now , the product that there selling , the product that they want you to buy is as good or even better than it’s ever been in history and if you don’t partake your missing out .
I’m not saying that sports don’t evolve over time of course that do , I just think it’s a bit overstated right now

Josh Koscheck at 4 shows that GSP's competition was not so far and away better than everybody else's. Leon Edwards at 4 shows that ain't shit changed.

Josh Koscheck at his peak was an upper tier fighter. Not sure why he's become the go to guy to try and discredit GSPs competition. Koscheck could easily be a top 5 WW today.

Josh Koscheck at his peak was an upper tier fighter. Not sure why he's become the go to guy to try and discredit GSPs competition. Koscheck could easily be a top 5 WW today.
I liked Koscheck, but his career is a strange one to analyze. I've seen every one of his UFC fights, and when he was on form, he was probably the next best to GSP on any given night. He was super athletic, had power in both hands, great top control, and I think he had the best power-double I've ever seen in the UFC.

However, he also displayed some terrible fight IQ, and some of his losses are hard to understand. Also, when you look at just his record, who are his best wins? Anthony Johnson was very green and likely malnourished, Paul Daley was dangerous but flawed, and Frank Trigg and Matt Hughes were both at the ends of their primes. For my money, the only time he beat another top contender in his division was Diego in 2007.

I liked Koscheck, but his career is a strange one to analyze. I've seen every one of his UFC fights, and when he was on form, he was probably the next best to GSP on any given night. He was super athletic, had power in both hands, great top control, and I think he had the best power-double I've ever seen in the UFC.

However, he also displayed some terrible fight IQ, and some of his losses are hard to understand. Also, when you look at just his record, who are his best wins? Anthony Johnson was very green and likely malnourished, Paul Daley was dangerous but flawed, and Frank Trigg and Matt Hughes were both at the ends of their primes. For my money, the only time he beat another top contender in his division was Diego in 2007.

I would pretty much agree. But we seen from him to know he was a legit title contender during his prime.

Reactions: G10
Back