Has Jones been using his wrestling less and less?

cino

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
It seems like Jones rarely uses his wrestling anymore. He took down DC a few times, but never looked to attack with ground and pound. He mostly uses it to throw his opponents off it seems.

His fights against Rashad, Glover, DC, Gus have been almost all standup.

It's strange because he has the most lethal ground and pound in the sport. But he is still winning, so maybe it's a moot point.

Considering he outwrestled DC he used it plenty. You wouldn't expect him to hold DC down on the ground for long, would you? But the fact that he managed to back him down into the cage and took him down 3 times is pretty amazing.

He doesn't really have much of a ground game, I'm not sure if he could hold down elite fighters for long. But he doesn't really need to anyway. Stand-up is easier on your gastank which makes sense for 25 minute fights.

I think all those guys have shown solid TDD and a difficulty to keep down , Jones though still uses the Clinch aspect and trips and his own TDD is part of his wrestling so I have to disagree

He tried to take Gus down over 10 times. He just got bigbrothered by Gus, thats all.

Guys have figured out ways to neutralize his wrestling a lot better. Even Rampage who is a sub-par grappler worked so hard in camp he got mounted by Jones and still was able to get up over and over.

Jones has now shown he's a superior striker as well.

Weidman and Hendricks have been using it less too I've noticed. GSP didn't really use his wrestling that much against Diaz/Condit.

UFC is slowly turning into K1, lol.

Weidman and Hendricks have been using it less too I've noticed. GSP didn't really use his wrestling that much against Diaz/Condit.

UFC is slowly turning into K1, lol.

I noticed that about Weidman and Hendricks too.

JJ didn't even look to hold Cormier down. But against guys like Shogun/Chael/Vitor he just held them down and ground and pound'd them the whole fight.

More like Gus ran for his life having flash back to the day Davis subbed in under 10 seconds after getting him down.

I believe you are wrong. Jones clinched many times with Gus against the cage and tried very hard to get a takedown but Gus was just too big, strong and skilled for Jonathan Dwight.

He doesn't need it anymore. I think he could out strike and beat Anderson silva or Machinda at this point without attempting even 1 takedown at this point.

If you don't need it why use it?

Wrestling saps more cardio than kicking and punching... if he can beat them on the feet there is no need to use it at all.

It seems like Jones rarely uses his wrestling anymore. He took down DC a few times, but never looked to attack with ground and pound. He mostly uses it to throw his opponents off it seems.

His fights against Rashad, Glover, DC, Gus have been almost all standup.

It's strange because he has the most lethal ground and pound in the sport. But he is still winning, so maybe it's a moot point.

let that roll around in your head a bit longer.....dc is an awesome wrestler

Back