• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Has DC hurt his legacy more than Jones?

Had he downplayed what Jones has accomplished then everyone would have said he was kidding himself. He said what a lot of people already believe, that Jones is the greatest, and lost twice to a person that a lot of people, again, believe is the greatest. GOAT or not, Jones is a special fighter and there really isn't any reason to hang your head over losing to him. Everyone loses to him.
do you consider DC in the same ballpark as jones? if not, do you think he has it in him to make up that ground if he focuses on other goals in fighting? I don't think he is, and I suppose he'll always be under him. I think he could at least narrow the gap by a considerable amount if he played his cards right in the fights he goes after.

He beat Alexander Gustafsson more decisively than Jones did

No he didn't. He was nearly finished and it was a SD. Jones won a UD and while taking damage was never rocked or hurt in any serious way. He nearly finished Gus in the 4th. DC went after the best and lost. But it was a hell of an effort.

in almost an hour of fighting, a lot more happened than what you are suggesting. I sure hope you haven't ever posted about the sport needing rule reform. that'd be ironic.

All any of the Jones haters do when talking about that fight is post the pic of him in the hospital. But in the actual cage, Jones was never once close to being finished. He almost had Gus out in the 4th. Had that round gone 30 more seconds he might have.

Buddy just break it up nobody wants to read a wall of text and go crosseyed, it's not about writing for likes, it's about writing to get read ain't nobody gonna read that mountain of wordz, beautify your sh!t with a paragraph or two I ain't into marathon reading...
To make more paragraphs, I would have needed to expound on different aspects of my point even further. It probably would have lengthened the entire post. It's not always so simple as indenting when convenient. If we are here to talk about MMA, why aren't we talking about MMA? I'm a butcher in his mid 20's for Christ's sake. Exactly what I said to Arm Barbarian. I know most people on here use memes and shoops to convey messages if they have one at all, but if THAT hurt your eyes, avoid those book type things at all costs.

I don't think he ruined it. Jones was coming back to reclaim the title he never lost.

There was no other way out for DC, and his legacy is exactly where it should be.

All any of the Jones haters do when talking about that fight is post the pic of him in the hospital. But in the actual cage, Jones was never once close to being finished. He almost had Gus out in the 4th. Had that round gone 30 more seconds he might have.
Kinda feels like 50% of people think Gus beat Jones. I don't here people say DC lost that fight very much.

I didn't read it, but I'll still chime in. I think Jones hurt his career far more than DC. DC lost the Belt, but Jones got stripped of his, and had to sit out while DC racked up wins. Seems pretty clear cut to me...

Having said that, I think if Jones goes on an Epic run he'll redeem himself and all that other stuff will be a footnote.

do you consider DC in the same ballpark as jones? if not, do you think he has it in him to make up that ground if he focuses on other goals in fighting? I don't think he is, and I suppose he'll always be under him. I think he could at least narrow the gap by a considerable amount if he played his cards right in the fights he goes after.
I don't think the gap between Jones and DC is as great as most would tend to believe. DC is a special fighter as well. I think it is more of a situation where one great fighter has a nemesis that will just always have his number. Jones just happens to have everybody else's numbers too. I also think Jones has better coaches/corners.

J
D.C. Got dropped by Gus and won it by a split decision.

Jones won unanimously and he won less decisively? Lol, log off of sherdog from time to time.
You're a :eek::eek::eek:... Your opinion is skewed. Hard to take you seriously when you are so open about closed door indiscretions.

I don't think he ruined it. Jones was coming back to reclaim the title he never lost.

There was no other way out for DC, and his legacy is exactly where it should be.
Not worsened by the way he talked about the fight? at all?

Kinda feels like 50% of people think Gus beat Jones. I don't here people say DC lost that fight very much.

The media that night mostly picked Jones. The judges did as well. You saw the fight. Tell me how he did enough to win that fight? He clearly lost rounds 4 and 5. Jones is 100% getting 1 of the first 3. No way around it.

I don't think the gap between Jones and DC is as great as most would tend to believe. DC is a special fighter as well. I think it is more of a situation where one great fighter has a nemesis that will just always have his number. Jones just happens to have everybody else's numbers too. I also think Jones has better coaches/corners.
Or, jones is able to cut enough weight that he is guaranteed to be the biggest fighter in the division so "coaching" him is easy. Look at how closely contested both fights were yet jones dwarfs DC in size. People can talk about skill, all they want to, but if fighter "A" can punch or eyepoke from a distance that fighter "B" can't even reach with a kick, fighter "A" has got a lot of "skill" on his side.

To make more paragraphs, I would have needed to expound on different aspects of my point even further. It probably would have lengthened the entire post. It's not always so simple as indenting when convenient. If we are here to talk about MMA, why aren't we talking about MMA? I'm a butcher in his mid 20's for Christ's sake. Exactly what I said to Arm Barbarian. I know most people on here use memes and shoops to convey messages if they have one at all, but if THAT hurt your eyes, avoid those book type things at all costs.

You wouldn't have to change a thing man express a thought indent/paragraph move on to the next part. If you've been here as as long as you say you've been then you should already know the average Sherdogger as the attention span of a gnat.

If you got something real to say make it concise & clear and if you know it's gonna be long give them a break with paragraph. People will read a laid out post, but a wall of text usually gets memes & funny gifs of "Did not read"...

Last edited:
You would think that getting beat twice by Jon Jones is the reason that Daniel Cormier is considered 2nd best in the UFC, and you would mostly be right. I can't help but feel like DC has perpetuated the problem beyond anything it ever would have been. Putting Jones on that pedestal and publicly declaring him the greatest and his only goal, it left him at such a great deficit in the eyes of fans when he failed. If the guy had argued his career more and played down Jones' career and skills, it wouldn't have hurt his reputation in the same way. It's not that difficult to angle either. DC won the most stacked heavyweight tournament ever, beating opponents with big size and experience advantages. He went undefeated in two of the all time biggest organizations in that weight class with wins over two former UFC heavyweight champions. He has beaten fighters who have held major world titles at welterweight, middleweight, light heavyweight, heavyweight, and openweight. He is the only man to beat, let alone finish twice, Rumble reincarnate. Andre Arlovski couldn't even do in this the middle of his career resurgence from 2011-2015. He beat Alexander Gustafsson more decisively than Jones did. He was more accomplished in their similar background of wrestling by a long shot. He was on the right path calling Jones out for his out-of-competition problems, but there was so much more he could have said.
I AM NOT SAYING DC HAS DONE BETTER THAN JONES. I am also not saying that it would have been the high road, but the dude basically beta'd himself the fuck up, you might say it was his bread and beta. Matt Hughes lost to Dennis Hallman twice. Josh Barnett lost to Cro Cop three times. BJ Penn lost to Frankie Edgar 3 times. Chuck Liddell got finished twice by Rampage Jackson. Dan Henderson is 1-2 against Vitor Belfort. All of the losers in those head-to-head matchups are either considered better than their foes or at least still have plenty of people arguing that they are better. This is because they went on to accomplish OTHER THINGS than their opponents did (or already had). It is also because they didn't go around saying that they weren't as good as guys who beat them. In word and in action, they didn't make their careers about their losses. DC could have saved so much face if he had a different tune. He could still save face if he changes his tune. I hope he fights some more heavyweights, even if he doesn't permanently go back. I hope he considers competing in Metamoris or ADCC. Calling out middleweights to fight him at Franklinweight would be acceptable to me. I just really hope he lets the Jones thing alone. There is so much left to do.
DC fucked himself when he made it personal. Out of competition is just that. He focused too much on storyline thinking this was a movie where the good guy wins and saves the girl at the end. He found out in the cage that is was real life where the better fighter wins. Period.
DC tried his hardest to son Jones every chance he got and then he got KO'd. Because he had already talked so much shit it was too just too much word to eat all at once.
DC's legacy is just fine. He is on paper as having a title and 2 defences. He has tons of creds at HW and LHW. He's fine.

I have spent enough time on this site that I know we both know the forum is almost entirely trash. I post something I actually thought about that wasn't written for likes or laughs, but to just actually talk mma. The best contribution you can make is wishing I had made 2 big paragraphs into smaller paragraphs? why are you here?
Dude as one of the people who actually read it I have to say @Arm Barbarian and @paynebringer are 100% correct. I actually felt like I deserved some sort of prize or something for tackling it. At the end of the day not everybody makes it up Everest.

I'm not reading that wall of shit.

You would think that getting beat twice by Jon Jones is the reason that Daniel Cormier is considered 2nd best in the UFC, and you would mostly be right. I can't help but feel like DC has perpetuated the problem beyond anything it ever would have been. Putting Jones on that pedestal and publicly declaring him the greatest and his only goal, it left him at such a great deficit in the eyes of fans when he failed. If the guy had argued his career more and played down Jones' career and skills, it wouldn't have hurt his reputation in the same way. It's not that difficult to angle either. DC won the most stacked heavyweight tournament ever, beating opponents with big size and experience advantages. He went undefeated in two of the all time biggest organizations in that weight class with wins over two former UFC heavyweight champions. He has beaten fighters who have held major world titles at welterweight, middleweight, light heavyweight, heavyweight, and openweight. He is the only man to beat, let alone finish twice, Rumble reincarnate. Andre Arlovski couldn't even do in this the middle of his career resurgence from 2011-2015. He beat Alexander Gustafsson more decisively than Jones did. He was more accomplished in their similar background of wrestling by a long shot. He was on the right path calling Jones out for his out-of-competition problems, but there was so much more he could have said.
I AM NOT SAYING DC HAS DONE BETTER THAN JONES. I am also not saying that it would have been the high road, but the dude basically beta'd himself the fuck up, you might say it was his bread and beta. Matt Hughes lost to Dennis Hallman twice. Josh Barnett lost to Cro Cop three times. BJ Penn lost to Frankie Edgar 3 times. Chuck Liddell got finished twice by Rampage Jackson. Dan Henderson is 1-2 against Vitor Belfort. All of the losers in those head-to-head matchups are either considered better than their foes or at least still have plenty of people arguing that they are better. This is because they went on to accomplish OTHER THINGS than their opponents did (or already had). It is also because they didn't go around saying that they weren't as good as guys who beat them. In word and in action, they didn't make their careers about their losses. DC could have saved so much face if he had a different tune. He could still save face if he changes his tune. I hope he fights some more heavyweights, even if he doesn't permanently go back. I hope he considers competing in Metamoris or ADCC. Calling out middleweights to fight him at Franklinweight would be acceptable to me. I just really hope he lets the Jones thing alone. There is so much left to do.
Interesting analysis Binny. I do believe you are correct.

I don't know, man.

I just don't know.

Back