Has Carlos Newton ever been in ADCC ?

abhi

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
If so how has he done and if not why not, is it cause his ground game isnt as good ?

I lost to Carlos Newton at the very first ADCC (1998). I was a blue belt and a fan of his. I didnt stand a chance. :redface:

I lost to Carlos Newton at the very first ADCC (1998). I was a blue belt and a fan of his. I didnt stand a chance. :redface:

shut UP! that's pretty freaking awesome though. how did it go down??

wow how did that fight go move by move wise, well from what you remmeber ?

wow how did that fight go move by move wise, well from what you remmeber ?

I remember it very well. It was one of the most exciting moments of my life, and really one of the best, despite the fact that I lost so badly and didnt really belong there (nor did half of the fighters who competed in the first event).

I was primarily a leg lock guy. Oleg was my main training partner and coach and I came from a no gi/submission wrestling background with Gokor and Gene LeBell. I was training in BJJ, but I had so many bad habits to break from no gi that it would have been better if I just immersed myself in BJJ and put all of the submission wrestling stuff aside for a few years. At the time, I was training at Beverly Hills Jiu Jitsu and it was an incredible place to train with the best NHBers (wasnt called MMA yet) like Bas Rutten, Marco Ruas, Mark Kerr, Oleg, and the many, many visitors we had like Sakuraba, Henderson, Sperry, etc...Also, Ethan Milius was the BJJ coach and although he was only a brown belt at the time, his level of understanding was higher than 90% of the black belts Ive met to this day. Phenomenal instructor. Marc Laimon was a blue belt (then purple) and already an encyclopedia of technique and won just about every tournament in California.

So I went into the match unprepared but I felt confident I could get the double leg (I probably couldnt, but I was convinced that I could...lol). I had played it out over and over in my mind: I'd shoot in and end up in his guard, defend and try to break the guard, then sit back for a leg lock, which was my only hope since I sucked at everything else but was decent with anything involving the legs. But minutes before I went out there to compete against Newton, Igor Yakimov came up and out of the blue said to NOT shoot a double (I hadnt told him I was going to). He said that he had shot in on Newton before and that it was pointless because he defended it well and got to Igor's back. Suddenly my plans were ruined and everything felt hopeless. Of course it didnt really change anything...the outcome would have been the same no matter what, but I thought that the only chance I had just went out the window.

So the match starts and the first thing I do is shoot in! I guess I had programmed myself to do so, but the moment I actually got in on him I realized I SHOULDNT be shooting, and I hesitated, which you can see on the video...The hesitation was long enough that he could easily reverse me and end up in side control. He then went to knee on the belly and slid into mount. He started to attack my arm and I thought he would go for the armlock and that I could time the escape and end up on top, but instead of taking the arm he transition easily to my back and finished the choke quickly. It was embarassing, but I was glad for the experience.

Nearly half the field was filled with guys like me from everywhere. It was the first year of the event and I think they just needed competitors. It was amazing to see the United Arab Emirates, though. Awesome place.

Andreh's "I went to ADCC to make up the numbers and all i got was this lousy t-shirt" t-shirt still has pride of place, framed on his wall. It is positioned slightly lower on the wall than his framed "Shen -Jutsu" black belt and signed photo of Grandmaster Shen and Andreh at his presentation ceremony.

I remember it very well. It was one of the most exciting moments of my life, and really one of the best, despite the fact that I lost so badly and didnt really belong there (nor did half of the fighters who competed in the first event).

I was primarily a leg lock guy. Oleg was my main training partner and coach and I came from a no gi/submission wrestling background with Gokor and Gene LeBell. I was training in BJJ, but I had so many bad habits to break from no gi that it would have been better if I just immersed myself in BJJ and put all of the submission wrestling stuff aside for a few years. At the time, I was training at Beverly Hills Jiu Jitsu and it was an incredible place to train with the best NHBers (wasnt called MMA yet) like Bas Rutten, Marco Ruas, Mark Kerr, Oleg, and the many, many visitors we had like Sakuraba, Henderson, Sperry, etc...Also, Ethan Milius was the BJJ coach and although he was only a brown belt at the time, his level of understanding was higher than 90% of the black belts Ive met to this day. Phenomenal instructor. Marc Laimon was a blue belt (then purple) and already an encyclopedia of technique and won just about every tournament in California.

So I went into the match unprepared but I felt confident I could get the double leg (I probably couldnt, but I was convinced that I could...lol). I had played it out over and over in my mind: I'd shoot in and end up in his guard, defend and try to break the guard, then sit back for a leg lock, which was my only hope since I sucked at everything else but was decent with anything involving the legs. But minutes before I went out there to compete against Newton, Igor Yakimov came up and out of the blue said to NOT shoot a double (I hadnt told him I was going to). He said that he had shot in on Newton before and that it was pointless because he defended it well and got to Igor's back. Suddenly my plans were ruined and everything felt hopeless. Of course it didnt really change anything...the outcome would have been the same no matter what, but I thought that the only chance I had just went out the window.

So the match starts and the first thing I do is shoot in! I guess I had programmed myself to do so, but the moment I actually got in on him I realized I SHOULDNT be shooting, and I hesitated, which you can see on the video...The hesitation was long enough that he could easily reverse me and end up in side control. He then went to knee on the belly and slid into mount. He started to attack my arm and I thought he would go for the armlock and that I could time the escape and end up on top, but instead of taking the arm he transition easily to my back and finished the choke quickly. It was embarassing, but I was glad for the experience.

Nearly half the field was filled with guys like me from everywhere. It was the first year of the event and I think they just needed competitors. It was amazing to see the United Arab Emirates, though. Awesome place.

Dude... that's awesome. Wish I had some cool story like that of going against a high level grappler in a tournament.

Andreh's "I went to ADCC to make up the numbers and all i got was this lousy t-shirt" t-shirt still has pride of place, framed on his wall. It is positioned slightly lower on the wall than his framed "Shen -Jutsu" black belt and signed photo of Grandmaster Shen and Andreh at his presentation ceremony.

Is this a UG reference joke?

Grandmaster Shen is an amazing instructor who has a hybrid Japanese Jiu Jitsu Brazilian Jiu Jitsu style. He calls it the Shen Jiu Jitsu system, or SJJ for short. SJJ was the first BJJ black belt to award rank by correspondance, and even though buying a belt from his organization is expensive, it is well worth the price. Simply videotape yourself rolling and send him the tape a long with a money order for the correct amount and he will send you a belt and a certificate.

He is very flexible with this system. If you do not have access to a video camera you can send the money order first and he will reward the certificate and belt with the understanding that the video will come later.

Many instructors have gone to Master Shen for advice and even though he speaks in riddles and his comments can sometimes be misconstrued as sarcastic or even condescending reading about him has made me a better person.

To this day, this is one of the things I most regret not having done.

That year, most of us turned up our noses at it thinking it would never go anywhere, not ever imagining that it would become the Wimbledon of grappling.

Back