Law Has Canada Gone Too Far With Impaired Driving Laws?

JudoThrowFiasco

Charming Quark
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am going to preface this by saying i firmly believe drunk driving is on par in terms of concern level as gun and any other source of violence -- we have enough data to show the dangerousness of impaired driving. Supporting laws that prevent drunk drivers from putting us at risk should be a common thread among various political leanings.

However, Canada's new laws are beyond reasonable measures to straight up draconian and invasive.

Previous law measures had legal limit at .08 -- but charges could be had if you were driving at a .05 - which included week or month long suspension of license and fine.

The new laws go beyond that -- now police can demand Breathalyzer and hand out driving impairment charges even if you are at a bar - or at home. Police can now, wait for patrons to leave a bar, and administer testing, even if the person(s) have no intention of driving home -- furthermore, police can now come to your home, up to two hours after a report and administer testing. That means, say you were driving home from work -- you swerve a little (being distracted) or someone just reports you for whatever reason, you get home -- toss back a few drinks -- police can now come to your house two hours later and demand testing and charge you with impaired driving

"
Had a rough day at work? Maybe want to take the edge off?

You get home, pour yourself a proper drink – or two – then hit the comfy chair and flip on the tube. There’s a knock at the door, and you open it to a cop who’s demanding a breath sample. She was alerted to you driving “kinda funny,” and tracked you to your castle. Of course, you haven’t driven for about an hour now, and only started drinking after settling in at home. But that doesn’t matter, and now you’re facing, as absurd as it sounds, an impaired driving charge.

Could it happen?

“It is a very strange thing that they have made,” Sarah Leamon, a defence lawyer specializing in impaired driving cases, said of the federal government’s new impaired driving legislation – namely Section 253 of the Criminal Code.

“There’s lots of lawyers who are making lots of noise about this being an issue, in that we might be able to see police kind-of follow people into their homes or into a bar and pull them out.”

“Basically, the change now just says you can’t be over 80 milligrams per cent within two hours of driving,” Leamon said. “Now, I think that that’s improperly worded in the Criminal Code. I think it’s going to be a very, very big misstep in terms of how the legislation is worded. I don’t think it was the legislative intention for people to have to abstain from consuming alcohol two hours after they’ve ceased driving.”

https://www.terracestandard.com/new...ed-driving-law-brews-potential-for-injustice/

Canadians could now be charged with drunk driving — even if not drunk, lawyers warn

https://globalnews.ca/news/4838386/commentary-canadas-new-impaired-driving-law-goes-way-too-far/

" For example, Global News reported this week on the story of a Mississauga man who was returning some empty beer and wine bottles on a Saturday morning, only to be stopped by a police officer who was demanding a breath sample. Apparently, the three dozen empty beer bottles and 10 empty wine bottles was suspicious, even though they had accumulated over the holiday season."

What say you WR's have the Canadian nanny state gone too far with this one?

I welcome police coming to my home and asking for a breathalyzer...as long as they don’t mind being told to get the fuck off my property.

There was a thread on this already.

I think the general consensus from everyone was asking whether Canada will start using a red double cross on a black field for their flag moving forward ala England in V for Vendetta

Lolololol9o.

Gonna be some cold motherfuckers riding bikes up there.

Cops being hosers, eh?

There was a thread on this already.

I think the general consensus from everyone was asking whether Canada will start using a red double cross on a black field for their flag moving forward ala England in V for Vendetta

if its not on the first two pages, it does not exist.

if its not on the first two pages, it does not exist.
<TheWire1>

Lolololol9o.

Gonna be some cold motherfuckers riding bikes up there.
You can get a DUI on a bike too...

I seen't it.

tumblr_mgu753Fycq1qb7vlmo1_500.gif

Some of the laws, bills, and motions being implemented and presented by government here the lasr few years has been down right terrifying to me.

This specific case is unbelievable to me. The fact that law enforcement has the power to come to your home and demand a breathalyzer is madness. That said, the really frightning part of this is the power given to be able to stop a driver with absolutely no probable cause. Think about that. You can be pulled over on the whims of a police officer, be demanded to give a breathalyzer and face prosecution and a fine if you refuse.

I cannot understand the lack of outrage by the general population when stuff like this pops up. Privacy is a thing of the past. Free speech is being treated as a privilege and government overreach is reaching cartoonish levels. I look around and I am alone.

You know what else is really dangerous and involved in many accidents? Speeding. So why shouldn't speeders have the same stigma as drunk drivers?

Some of the laws, bills, and motions being implemented and presented by government here the lasr few years has been down right terrifying to me.

This specific case is unbelievable to me. The fact that law enforcement has the power to come to your home and demand a breathalyzer is madness. That said, the really frightning part of this is the power given to be able to stop a driver with absolutely no probable cause. Think about that. You can be pulled over on the whims of a police officer, be demanded to give a breathalyzer and face prosecution and a fine if you refuse.

I cannot understand the lack of outrage by the general population when stuff like this pops up. Privacy is a thing of the past. Free speech is being treated as a privilege and government overreach is reaching cartoonish levels. I look around and I am alone.

Yup. A cop has a ton of power over you when you are driving a car. He has far less power if you are just walking down the street.

<TheWire1>

I seen't it.

No you cant. I've inquired. It's not motorized. Cant get an impaired on a pedal bike. Ive even asked cops on pedal bikes. Get a drunk in public fine and may get arrested as its not recommended behavior of course but no .08. Of course you wont believe me but that's on you. I'm just telling you what the law is in Saskatchewan

Last edited:
No you cant. I've inquired. It's not motorized. Cant get an impaired on a pedal bike. Ive even asked cops on pedal bikes. Get a drunk in public fine and may get arrested as its not recommended behavior course but no .08. Of course you wont believe me but that's on you. I'm just telling u what the law is in Saskatchewan

In the US you can. You can get a DWI for sleeping in the backseat of your car if your keys are in the cabin. Bike DWIs are unorthodox, but totally within the statute (for my state at least).

http://www.dailytexanonline.com/2015/05/08/apd-officers-caution-against-inebriated-biking

According to APD officer Nathan Blake, operating a bicycle at or above a blood alcohol content of .08 is a punishable crime.

“[Motor vehicle] is one of the elements of a DWI,” Blake said. “From a police officer’s perspective, a bicycle is a motor vehicle.”

Section 49.04 of the Texas Penal Code defines the elements of a DWI offense and section 32.34 defines a motor vehicle as a device that can transport a person on a highway, excluding devices on stationary rails or tracks. The penalty for a DWI on a bike is the same as a DWI in a car. A first DWI offense carries a penalty of up to six months in prison and a maximum $2,000 fine.

Skateboard, Razor Scooter, Roller Blades, etc.

If it has wheels it can get you a dui

Think heelys are still safe

Rural community, a friends uncle got out of an OWI on horseback by successfully arguing in court that since he was passed out, he wasn't driving or operating anything. He was simply on the horse's back as it went home of its own accord

Good luck getting in my super thick ultra slippery icy yard

<GinJuice>

<TheWire1>

I seen't it.

I worked with a guy that was driving drunk and hit a guy on a bicycle that cut in front of him as he was pulling onto the road he lived on. He had to stop because the guy got hurt. The guy on the bike was drunk also so they both got DUI’s and then they were both in the same alcohol programs as part of their sentence. The guy I worked with said he wanted to beat the guy up everting he saw

Simple solution if you are at home: Dont answer the door. Let them knock to their hearts content, and make a game of it. See what gives out first, their resolve to get you to answer or your supply of drink.

Back