Has anyone in Vancouver Canada heard of this gym??

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by gracie_barra**, Oct 4, 2005.

1. gracie_barra**

gracie_barra** Purple Belt

Universal Martial Arts? www.universalmartialarts.ca

Dennis Kang , Marcus Soares and Bill Mahood used to work out there. They are now under Carlson Gracie.

Another thing- slightly off topic I want to point out- check out this place: www.westvancouvermartialarts.com

Go to instructors.. Look at the credentials of their Sambo guy! And they won't let him teach Sambo/ Judo, but rather Krav Maga?? This angers me :mad:

2. migo**

migo** Guest

I've rolled with a guy from UMA, he's pretty good. I don't think any of their guys fight pro (Denis doesn't really count since he used to teach there) but a couple of them compete at amateur competitions. Marcus Soares has always been under Carlson.

3. Stephan Kesting

Stephan Kesting Green Belt

Denis used to teach MMA at UMA before he moved to Florida

Their BJJ program used to be run by John Kefalonitis (I hope that that is the correct spelling) but he has left to go travelling. It is currently being taught by Todd Smith, a VERY capable purple belt under Marcus Soares

I believe that Tony Pep is teaching the boxing there - he really helped bring Denis to the next level striking-wise

Stephan Kesting
    www.grapplearts.com

4. gracie_barra**

gracie_barra** Purple Belt

Yeah I guess whats why they they were affialiated with Machado and now Carlson Gracie. BTW, I thought Todd Smith was teaching over at Suitela in Surrey. Know what happened?

5. migo**

migo** Guest

Yeah, John was under Machado. When did he leave? I saw him in March at the Tiger Balms and a couple weeks ago at the WFF.