Has anyone ever been caught in an "Full-Nelson" in the UFC/MMA before?

illegalnature

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I know it works for certain situations I guess but has it ever been effectively used in this sport before?

Didn't Guida get someone in either a full or half Nelson?

It's been a while, but didn't Rich Clementi catch Melvin Guillard in a full nelson at one point?

You mean one of the easiest things to get out of?
Doubtful. Not unless they grew up on WWF worshiping hulk hogan

IDK about anybody being caught by Full Nelson but theres been plenty of people who were caught by Roy Nelson

I've seen a half nelson a couple of times, and usually the other fist is pummeling the dude's face. But like said above, a full nelson would be kind of pointless in a MMA fight.

Think Clay Guida had a half Nelson on Nate Diaz when they fought

Seen it in MMA before, not sure if it was UFC. I could be wrong but you might be able to use it to secure hooks before a guy can escape.

I can't even remember what a full nelson is. Has anyone ever been caught in a sharp shooter* haha

Think Clay Guida had a half Nelson on Nate Diaz when they fought

It was a full nelson, and it took Mike and Joe about a minute to realize it. Full nelson is a submission hold but it's like the can opener. Common sense will allow you to not be submitted. Half nelson is used for transitions. Usually when someone has side control from the back, and wants to switch to traditional side control.

Full nelson then a trip/slam onto their face would work pretty well.

Full nelson then a trip/slam onto their face would work pretty well.

I'm pretty sure if you have such grappling supremacy in a fight that you can get a Full Nelson facebuster against a resisting opponent, then you'd be as well winning by snapping their chickenbone arms over your leg like a backwoodsman with a bundle of dry kindling.

Back