Has a short notice replacement ever won a BIG fight aside from Nate Diaz?

You guys remember warpath? Not in the UFC but that dude made a career out of being a last minute replacement. Any wins on his record would qualify.

Edit: I guess they weren't big fights though

Just an very old one I rewatched recently for some reason, Tra Telligman was short notice against Igor Vovchanchyn in 2001 and shocked the world back then. Igor was 46-3 with one loss in the GP final over the last six years, with a recent win over Mark Kerr in their rematch, into the fight and Tra was 6-3, on a two fights losing streak, last win was more than 3 years old. Igor was supposed to face Ken Shamrock, he endd up against a short notice replacement that felt like a total mismatch who did it in impressive fashion. That's, as far as I'm concerned, the biggest short notice upset ever. Pride 13.

Fantastic pick and story

Cowboy vs Bendo
Edgar vs Ortega
Emmett vs Lamas

With One eye:
tumblr_o8aq1qGTmi1qa33wlo1_500.gif
tumblr_o8aq1qGTmi1qa33wlo3_500.gif

293e636c-df65-4b49-9f55-fa0bd33174db_text.gif

Bisping winning the title is probably the best story ever when it comes to a replacement fighter coming in short notice and making it. Ortega knocked out Edgar as a replacement for Max, if I recall correctly.
Bisping seems like the type who would actually stay ready between fights. I mean it's a professional sport. These guys seriously veg out between fights (one to two fights a year btw). Months of vacation after 15 minutes.

Back