Hardwood?

Funnily enough, I also learned Hapkido on hard floors. It was pretty sadistic in retrospect.

Thought this was gonna be one of those problems rolling with ladies thread.

My last memory of a hapkido demonstration included our blindfolded sword wielding grandmaster brilliantly slicing cucumbers held by his students, but missing the last one and putting the blade an inch deep in my fellow students chest.

It was unintentional, of course, but it was still being stabbed by a sword. Also, it was on hardwood.

Last edited:
They have mats that are painted to look like hardwood. I have seen them in Asia before.

My last memory of a hapkido demonstration included our blindfolded sword wielding grandmaster brilliantly slicing cucumbers held by his students, but missing the last one and putting the blade an inch deep in my fellow students chest.

It was unintentional, of course, but it was still being stabbed by a sword. Also, it was on hardwood.

Never had that happen. There weren't any swords that I recall. A lot of TKD with wristlocks, mostly, and rolling over obstacles. Which again sucked on concrete.

Yeah, our head guy had a big sword routine - slicing a melon in half on a students's belly and all that. We had sword forms in our hapkido, started learning that on day one. 1st TKD form, wristlocks one to five, and a sword form. I forget what the Korean sword art was called.

These are clearly mats.

http://www.softtiles.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=59&Itemid=59

Watch in HD and you can see them sinking in.

1975184_10203334243497746_189973192_n.jpg

The ukemi isn't even appropriate for hardwood floors.

Last edited:
Yeah, our head guy had a big sword routine - slicing a melon in half on a students's belly and all that. We had sword forms in our hapkido, started learning that on day one. 1st TKD form, wristlocks one to five, and a sword form. I forget what the Korean sword art was called.

I don't know, what's the Korean translation of 'Kendo'? That would be pretty much in line with every other Korean martial art.

lol you can tell from the sound that they are mats. how is that legal weed in Colorado?

I once took ukemi for an Aikido demonstration on a hardwood stage. When I agreed to do the demo I was assured that the repertoire would be strictly pins and other low-amplitude stuff. As it turned out, the first technique was seoi nage and then it went downhill from there.

I prided myself on having really good ukemi; I can take breakfalls on mats without any significant noise or impact. There is no technique soft enough for hardwood. The next day I had trouble getting out of bed and walking to the bathroom because my hips were bruised so badly.

Never again.

It's how I grew up training- first time I saw mats (around 9 years old)- I was like- what are those things? Our throws was just on thin rugs over concrete or hardwood.

Judo competitions were originally contested on hardwood floors. Hardcore.

Drunkenly grappled a friend on concrete once. Not even nice concrete either, the rough grade stuff. I came out cut up. But I didn't get aids, take that TMA'ers!

Drunkenly grappled a friend on concrete once. Not even nice concrete either, the rough grade stuff. I came out cut up. But I didn't get aids, take that TMA'ers!

That you know of . . . :icon_lol: jk

Like you said, Kumdo is Korean Kendo, but Hwa Rang Do is a Korean sword style as well. I don't know anything about it aside from that.

Back