• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Hanging a Slab vs Pre-Hung Door

deadshot138

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Handy Sherbros, I need your assistance. After paying $5700 to fix my car after taxes, I'm gonna need to become real handy around the house and DIY all the projects I could have spent that money on.

Now my question is, for an exterior door, is it easier to go pre hung or slab? I really dont want to have to disassemble the entire door frame. I have chisels and a planer to make the slab door fit. Can anyone explain the advantages and disadvantages of either option? Thanks brethers.

If you’re not afraid of some carpentry then I say go ahead with the slab door. It is less expensive usually and gives you more flexibility as far as fit and finish. If you’re worried about the end result and whether you can hand make a good swing and tight fit, then cough up the money for a prehung.

Hanging an exterior door is a bitch even for the pros. Things never line up right. It’s worth the few handy to get it installed. Save somewhere else.

Back