Hanging a Heavy Bag Outside

Outlaw_Immortal

White Belt
Reaction score
Well I have really no room inside my house for my heavy bag, so im looking for some advice on putting it outside in my yard. I dont need anything fancy just something sturdy enough to hold an 80lbs bag, or maybe a little more cuz id like to get a 150 or 200 one day. Theres no overhanging part of the house that i could attach this to, this is gonna have to be put on some sort of frame. Im really trying to avoid going out and buying a pre-made frame, but im not sure what else to do.

What could I build the frame from? Would wood work? Im not sure what i could get that would be sturdy enough. If I just buried a long ass 4x4 halfway and put another one across the top would that be enough?

I dunno im just looking for some ideas any input would be great!

Well I have really no room inside my house for my heavy bag, so im looking for some advice on putting it outside in my yard. I dont need anything fancy just something sturdy enough to hold an 80lbs bag, or maybe a little more cuz id like to get a 150 or 200 one day. Theres no overhanging part of the house that i could attach this to, this is gonna have to be put on some sort of frame. Im really trying to avoid going out and buying a pre-made frame, but im not sure what else to do.

What could I build the frame from? Would wood work? Im not sure what i could get that would be sturdy enough. If I just buried a long ass 4x4 halfway and put another one across the top would that be enough?

I dunno im just looking for some ideas any input would be great!

I would think your best bet would be to hire a carpenter or a contractor or you if your handy i suppose and anchor 2 posts in the ground and make a sort of frame you would see on a swing set that would let you move around in 360 degrees on it. The frame your describing would have way too much force i think hanging off unsupported and you wouldnt be able to move around it very much.

The other problem is going to be the bag you have to make sure you get an outdoor bag otherwise the regular bag will fill with water and could mold then as you punch it you will be dislodging mold spores and breath them in which is not good.

I would think your best bet would be to hire a carpenter or a contractor or you if your handy i suppose and anchor 2 posts in the ground and make a sort of frame you would see on a swing set that would let you move around in 360 degrees on it. The frame your describing would have way too much force i think hanging off unsupported and you wouldnt be able to move around it very much.

The other problem is going to be the bag you have to make sure you get an outdoor bag otherwise the regular bag will fill with water and could mold then as you punch it you will be dislodging mold spores and breath them in which is not good.

Ya, i think youre right im gonna need at least 2 posts in the ground for it to be sturdy, I've been thinking about doing something like this:

| |
| |

The lines are the posts and the circles where the bag would be. I think this way would be alot more supportive and still let me move almost 360 deg. My only concern with putting the bag in the middle is that the posts would have to be pretty far away to allow for a good amount of room to move around.

well that didnt come out right, but the idea is two posts with one on top overhanging one side by a little bit and the bag hanging from that.

I'd stick with the two upright concept not the single.

Either way You will also need to "tie" the uprights to the cross piece. Even if you lag the crosspiece to the uprights the amount of torque may lossen that connection. However the "tie" is super simple.

If the cross piece is mounted to the top side of the uprights, you could take something as simple as a treated 2x4 and attatch it to both the upright and crosspeice over the joint. In this case the 2x4 would run up and down. If the crosspeice was bolted between the uprights then the 2x4 would run horizianally(sp)

The bigger question is where do you get an "outside" bag. Cause you will have issues if you use a normal bag unless you want to bring it inside everytime you use it and then rehang it.(gaint pain)

If you can't find an outside bag just get a cheap canvas one and wrap it in duct tape.

Not an attempt to hijack the thread, but I am planning on hanging a bag in my garage, which is not heated. Should I be looking for an "outside" bag? If so what makes a bag suitable for outside. I was already concerned as to what material to get (leather/synthetic), but the issues raised here have added another level to the problem.

Back