Hands of Stone Highlight Film

I like how hes standing there trying to look scary in a camo speedo.

Gotta love the 70's. Reminds me of this Albanian dude I use to work with. Picture a fat older dude. Was telling me when he first came to the States (not that long ago) he was at a public swimming pool and he busts out his speedos with a red star over his crotch. He says as he started walking to the pool he noticed everybody there was just staring at him. He walked back and covered himself with a towel. :icon_chee

I dunno how to put it quite right. He's a fighter that aggressively throws bomb, yet at the exact same time shows masterful ability to roll with punches and avoid counters.

I can't think of another fighter who is so offensively minded, yet brilliant on defense simultaneously.

A true marvel, a true all time great. I guess you don't earn the moniker living legend for being less than absolutely stellar.

I dunno how to put it quite right. He's a fighter that aggressively throws bomb, yet at the exact same time shows masterful ability to roll with punches and avoid counters.

I can't think of another fighter who is so offensively minded, yet brilliant on defense simultaneously.

A true marvel, a true all time great. I guess you don't earn the moniker living legend for being less than absolutely stellar.

The prime "Manassa Mauler" Jack Dempsey circa 1918 to 1921, fits your description to a tee.

primemanassamauler3pa5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Very clear film of Dempsey-Willard (can download preview clip.)
Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

Jack Dempsey: To Victory.
YouTube - Jack Dempsey: To Victory

RE: The opening 90 seconds of Dempsey/Willard with Dempsey circling his prey before the carnage begins, and the sparring session with 6′6

One of my favorite fighters ever. Him beating Barkley at his age was unreal. That was before todays fighters fighting into their 40s with Mackie Shilstone training techniques etc.

Gotta love the 70's. Reminds me of this Albanian dude I use to work with. Picture a fat older dude. Was telling me when he first came to the States (not that long ago) he was at a public swimming pool and he busts out his speedos with a red star over his crotch. He says as he started walking to the pool he noticed everybody there was just staring at him. He walked back and covered himself with a towel. :icon_chee

LOL, yeah it was a different time. Now you see a guy with a speedo and a mustache you would think boxer is the last thing he does.

Combined with the music (Shook Ones instrumental), that was one of the sickest HL I've ever seen!!

One of my favorite fighters ever. Him beating Barkley at his age was unreal. That was before todays fighters fighting into their 40s with Mackie Shilstone training techniques etc.

That was a great fight. I was shocked he pulled it off.

A friend of mine who used to fight told me Duran was a bit of a racist. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this?

YouTube - Roberto Duran beats up Davey Moore

Check out the crowd just going wild!

Re: being a racist. It's possible. I'd say probably everyone is a BIT racist.

As an aside, I remember hearing Sugar Ray Leonard say every year on his birthday he gets a video tape for Duran wishing him a happy birthday.

You go through what kids like Duran go through as kids. Live their lives. Grow up being taught what they're taught, before you judge another man as a racist.

I see where you're coming from. My parents I consider to be quasi-racist.

They're certainly willing to talk and be friendly to every group of people, but when it comes to say marriage, they'd have disowned me had I married a black girl.

But they're old school, from a very homogeneous society. If I had the same upbringing, I'd probably be racist too. But that doesn't change the fact that they are racist. I thought Duran was some sort of a mix. It'd probably be harder to be some kind of a racist if you're a mix.

Call Duran Mexican and see what happens.

Call Duran Mexican and see what happens.

Fill me in. Does he get all pissed off? If so, is that because of a personal issue or does he hate all Mexicans. And if he hates Mexicans, wouldn't that me more of a nationalist thing than a race thing?

Im not sure where the line between this new age term of "nationalism" and "racism" really begins and ends. Im not interested in it to be honest. It's all hate. Sometimes hate is justified within the individual, IMO.

But he has Mexican blood, but has in the past, got a little irate if its suggested that he's Mexican, not Panamanian.

Yeah, it's a mess I really don't care to get into myself. I think the line of thinking of judging someone by their ethnicity or what boundary they live in belongs to the past century, not this one.

Plus, it's fucking hijacking my thread! :D

Back