Hand Speed

C

crazyasian

*I've used the search function to see if I could find specific articles on Hand Speed, it came up with several threads, though mainly about fighters.

Can anyone throw out or point me in a direction to increase hand speed in stand up?

Thanks!

Crazy Asian

focus mitts with a guy that knows how to hold pads can do wonders.

Get a trainer to spend more one-on-one time with you?

Once a coach has got your technique and form to the 95% level, and has put you through all the strength and conditioning regiments for a fighter, THEN start trying the misc. stuff to improve

Conditioning can make up for it in later rounds.

It really doesnt help hand speed but conditioning will help in the later rounds. Once your opponets has gassed a little his punches wont be as fast. So if you are in great same your punches will still be fast. Keep the presuure on and make them throw a bunch in the early rounds and maybe you can get him in the late rounds.

I say this because I an slow of hand also. I mean slow. You know like you could ride a glacier and get away. But I have won fights in the late rounds due to pressure in the early rounds and still having the gas in the late rounds.

Conditioning can make up for it in later rounds.

It really doesnt help hand speed but conditioning will help in the later rounds. Once your opponets has gassed a little his punches wont be as fast. So if you are in great same your punches will still be fast. Keep the presuure on and make them throw a bunch in the early rounds and maybe you can get him in the late rounds.

I say this because I an slow of hand also. I mean slow. You know like you could ride a glacier and get away. But I have won fights in the late rounds due to pressure in the early rounds and still having the gas in the late rounds.

Well put! Also, if you lack flexibility in your hips, it can sometimes result in slower hand speed. I have a friend who actually uses a tennis ball machine (the one that shoots out the balls) and sets it on the slower speed then gradually increases the speed over time until he hits (with a closed fist) around 90% of the balls coming at him. He swears it has helped his hand speed and punching accuracy drastically, also put a couple tennis ball size bruises on him! Sounds strange, I know, but when I spar with the guy he really has some seriously quick hands!

^ lucky me I'm only 120lbs. :D

But damn, the guy in rosstraining is like 180 and he just did a triple clap pushup. :)

*I've used the search function to see if I could find specific articles on Hand Speed, it came up with several threads, though mainly about fighters.

Can anyone throw out or point me in a direction to increase hand speed in stand up?

Thanks!

Crazy Asian

practice punching really fast when you're shadow boxing or hitting the heavybag. Good mitt holders, double end bags, and speed bags help promote speed as well.

TJT: what are you talking about, I freaking love being able to launch 215 lbs of Mongoose into the air like that!
Great feeling!

Focus mitts/training time ftw

TJT: what are you talking about, I freaking love being able to launch 215 lbs of Mongoose into the air like that!
Great feeling!

Focus mitts/training time ftw

after about 7-10 of them i feel so sloppy because i start using my back lol.

i dont know whats worse, the push UP part, or the catching all the weight comming down and making sure you dont eat floor mat :icon_chee

In your head imagine that your hand is back as soon as you launch the punch, if you do this enough your muscles will ache and become sore, even if you are conditioned. I puch alot and I still get sore and have to recover for a day or so. So when punching extend almost all the way out but at the same time make sure you think that it is already back protecting your face.

when i broke my hand in a boxing match i wanted to still train. I would throw combos at the bag, and barely hit it, so i was focusing on speed only and snappieness... it really helped me get used to throwing multipunch combos and made my hands pretty quick...

clap pushups, anything off ross training... punchout drills...all help

one thing i found is really key in making your punches snappier liek a whip is make sure your hips move FIRST , your hips twist, your hand shoots out after... your hips always lead for every punch...

check out a guy named billiardjay on youtube, great instructionals.

after about 7-10 of them i feel so sloppy because i start using my back lol.

i dont know whats worse, the push UP part, or the catching all the weight comming down and making sure you dont eat floor mat :icon_chee

for my fat 206 ass... it is the coming down that sucks.

Stay loose and relaxed. Being too tight is a great way to slow your punches down.

does anyone have any opinions on holding 1-6 lb weights?

what are your opinions on those?

There was a thread a few days ago about that was pretty similar in nature. Like I posted in that one, if you use some resistance that will help as well. As an example surgical tubing. Tie one end to something sturdy, and then hold the other and do punches with that.

Back