Half guard underhook defence/counter

Deeez

White Belt
Reaction score
I am having some problem when in half guard in top position when my opponent gets an underhook and comes up.

What are some good counters as soon as they get the underhook. I usually drop my weight down over them, and maybe get the near side underhook and try pass to the otherside with my knee crossing their stomach.

Or I try wizzer, the problem I have with the wizzer is that if I use it too early by centre of gravity is too high and they can trap the arm and sweep me back over them. Or if I let them turn into me and get a strong wizzer they are still in a good position to get their legs our and possible come to their knees.

This is no-gi by the way.

Attack the d'arce.

It's hard to describe how to base when you have that whizzer in. It's a feeling thing, not something that can be explained (at least by me).

I have more shorter stockier arms and I find the darce hard to get especisally if they are controlling my leg in half guard, but that is good advice thanks.

Alternatively, you can pummel for the underhook and then smash.

Flatten them out, put your shoulder in their jaw/throat and proceed to pass their guard.

If you have an underhook and they are flat on their back, passing becomes very easy.

well you dont want him to come up so when he comes up push him back down with ur arms to stop him from coming up

D'Arce the holy shit out of him. You could also let him come up a little and then work a 3/4 nelson to swing him back down for a D'Arce. It's a perfect time to do it. Check out Zak Cummings vs. Rudy Bears at Bellator, he does this all the time and it is vicious.
Bellator 26 - Sunday Night Fights - Bellator.com

If they've already come up, I quite like overhooking, then grabbing the wrist of your other hand and placing THAT hand on your opponents head to force it back to the ground. Kind of as if you have a kimura grip.

Poorly explained, but if someone has good pictures or videos, that would be appreciated. Basically, your aim is to keep their head away from your body and controlled until you can adjust your body position to block the sweep.

Just an option!

Take care,

Oli

I had a black belt show me this the other day. If your opponent on bottom gets the underhook get another underhook. What I mean by this is that you don't necessarily have to underhook the arm. Try underhook his top leg and use the same shoulder pressure you would when underhooking the arm. It works like a charm and gets you closer to a pass as well.

If they've already come up, I quite like overhooking, then grabbing the wrist of your other hand and placing THAT hand on your opponents head to force it back to the ground. Kind of as if you have a kimura grip.

Poorly explained, but if someone has good pictures or videos, that would be appreciated. Basically, your aim is to keep their head away from your body and controlled until you can adjust your body position to block the sweep.

Just an option!

Take care,

Oli

I think wrestling folk refer to this as quarter nelson.

It really depends on the context, but one thing I particularly like to do is bring their lapel under their armpit and behind their neck, grabbing it with my hand under their neck, I then drop my shoulder onto thier face and flatten them out. This pressure usually gives me sufficient space to swim my arm back inside theirs. Also have an option to go for a baseball like choke and gi brabo from there.

Thanks for the reposonse, i do know the most of the techniques mentioned but is good to hear them again. I will also try the underhook of the leg as that is something that i do not try very often.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back