Half guard question

Tony Manifold

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I have mentioned here and there that I have been concentrating on my half guard a great deal lately. Basically, I am using Eddie bravo's game based around the lock down. I can get the lock down and hold it pretty good, I can get double unders most of the time and if I can whip up to my side, I am starting to get old school, Electric chair, take the back or get to my knees for a drive through sweep. Those are coming along nicely. I have ran into a bit of a problem. Some times I get double underhooks but before I can get up on my hip, the guy will just lie across me an base his free leg back where I can't reach it for a sweep. He doesn't have the cross face but he has his weight on me in such away that I can't get up to my side. We end up just staying there because he can't pass my half guard and I can't whip up. Eventually, I would just give up and re-establish full guard but there has to be a half guard option there. I just can't think of it.

there is a bunch of options, but maybe not necessarily in eddie's book.

if they are putting their weight into you you could go for "plan B", and then i they pull back to avoid it, then whip up on your side

It doesn't have to been one of Eddie's moves. I just have based my game so far of his.

In general, if they are just lying way back in your half guard, you should go to full guard. Some people are like this, they base down, sprawl back, and won't let you get under them. Best solution is to go back to guard, which is easy when they are so far back.

You can lift the lockdown and pushing up on his armpits to make space and then whip up.

Or if you are completely flattened, try shrimping out a little and getting that hook in for half butterfly guard, then lift and move to butterfly.

going back to guard is a good idea...

Also, eddie bravos half guard game is pretty good, but try practicing some more basic stuff too. The lockdown is nice and all, but it can limit your mobility too. Hook sweeps are your friend.

going back to guard is a good idea...

Also, eddie bravos half guard game is pretty good, but try practicing some more basic stuff too. The lockdown is nice and all, but it can limit your mobility too. Hook sweeps are your friend.

Alright, just curious what do people mean by hook sweeps? People use different lingo in different places....so, does that mean a simple elevator from closed, butterfly, half buttefly, any guard with a hook in?

Or this?

PSBJJ Club. Hook Sweep. - AOL Video

Alright, just curious what do people mean by hook sweeps? People use different lingo in different places....so, does that mean a simple elevator from closed, butterfly, half buttefly, any guard with a hook in?

Or this?

PSBJJ Club. Hook Sweep. - AOL Video

it's like the video you posted, but from half guard.

Get the underhook, shrimp out your hip to that side, control the arm, take your outside foot, hook under the knee, and sweep. Just make sure you keep tight and keep that inside leg and foot over their leg so they can't pass your guard.

It's probably the most basic half guard sweet you can learn.

release the lock down.

Double paw the arm so you dont get cross face and start scoot onto your side trying to get your head to his hips.

release the lock down.

Double paw the arm so you dont get cross face and start scoot onto your side trying to get your head to his hips.

His arms are both on the same side as the leg I have trapped. I am pretty close to his hips. He bases his leg back and get his hip low so I can't get under his leg for the sweep.

It looks like coming back to guard was a good idea. One question about this hook sweep. If I have his right leg trapped in half guard, I am sweeping to his left?

btw thanks for the ideas everyone.

His arms are both on the same side as the leg I have trapped. I am pretty close to his hips. He bases his leg back and get his hip low so I can't get under his leg for the sweep.

It looks like coming back to guard was a good idea. One question about this hook sweep. If I have his right leg trapped in half guard, I am sweeping to his left?

Yes, A big key to this is to control his left arm. You can't let him gt his left arm posted out. That wil kill the sweep and he'll pass. If he starts to try to post his left leg thats fine. Just stay with it and keep elevating the hooked(right leg) and keep turning he'll go over. But You have to keep the arm of which ever side you sweeping to trapped. If it gets loose forget the sweep and just restablish the half or butterfly guard depending on how far out he got.

Then you should read this thread

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f12/half-guard-when-opponent-faces-legs-774467/

Aesopian and I as well as many other discuss sweeps and fixes for the halfguard pass your talking about.

Back