Half Guard/Deep Half Guard

Ballzilla

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I've been working on developing a strong half guard from bottom. I'm comfortable there and it allows me to setup sweeps much easier. Last night, my instructor had me pretty much working on balling myself up and getting my entire upper body up underneath my opponent from bottom half. I was having a serious problem with either A) getting passed or B) getting choked and this adjustment aleviated all of that and allowed me to sweep more efficiently. I'm still not great at it but I'm sure time will help. Is this what's considered deep half guard? I'm just wondering so I can research it a bit more and find some helpful tips. The 3 sweeps I know from there were much easier the further I got under my opponent and again, it's just comfortable for me to be there. Is one variation of half guard more efficient for one thing over another or are both full of sweeps and submissions?

Deep Half Guard is a different position than what you are describing. Stephan Kesting's website has a good image of deep half guard in his Guard Glossary.

Guard Glossary: The BJJ Half Guard

He has good general descriptions of both and what kinds of attacks you can expect to perform from each position.

I've been working on developing a strong half guard from bottom. I'm comfortable there and it allows me to setup sweeps much easier. Last night, my instructor had me pretty much working on balling myself up and getting my entire upper body up underneath my opponent from bottom half. I was having a serious problem with either A) getting passed or B) getting choked and this adjustment aleviated all of that and allowed me to sweep more efficiently. I'm still not great at it but I'm sure time will help. Is this what's considered deep half guard? I'm just wondering so I can research it a bit more and find some helpful tips. The 3 sweeps I know from there were much easier the further I got under my opponent and again, it's just comfortable for me to be there. Is one variation of half guard more efficient for one thing over another or are both full of sweeps and submissions?

Spend time sifting thru this... It is well worth it, theory-wise:

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f12/greatest-half-guard-thread-ever-602664/

I had the same revelation recently. Curling up Metroid-style, knees and elbows tight, has much improved my half guard game.

I had the same revelation recently. Curling up Metroid-style, knees and elbows tight, has much improved my half guard game.

My half guard sucks, and if I find out that the missing link was the morph ball, I'm going to shit myself.

My half guard sucks, and if I find out that the missing link was the morph ball, I'm going to shit myself.

I was explaining this concept the other night, and as everyone was settling down to drill I heard someone mumble, "I still can't believe it turned out to be a girl."

Back