Had my first "tournament" today

Drew_C

White Belt
Reaction score
Well I go the ATT near my house in coconut creek, fl. They had a AAT grappling/wrestling tourny this saturday and I decided to try my hand after about 2 1/2 months of training so I signed up for the beginner no-gi division. Well there werent any beginners at my weigh (222) so I went against a guy of similar weight but he was an intermediate. I lost but I'm proud of myself, I didn't get tapped out and lost by points. It started off standing and I went for a shoot and got one leg but he sprawled and got on top and got north/south and then transfered to side mount. From there I never really regained control with my shrimping and trying hip escapes till time ran out. He got a mount on me and I knew I was behind in points but I didn't care, I did not want to get tapped. All in all it was good times and I hope to do it again.

Dang that's cool man! That's a good way to start out in tournaments, other than winning lol.

lol..awsome gro. Lick Rickson allways said, BJJ aint about points lol. At least you did'nt get taped..next time who knows..Good Job bro

Yeah, thanks guys. I appreciate the comments, and even though it wasnt a big tourny I still got the jitters. I was kinda nervous but I still had a good time and like I said I was happy I didn't get submitted.

sounds like you did good, keep training and work on what didnt work and keep wotrking on what did work to perfect it even more

Good job bro, you went against a guy who had more expireince and he couldnt get you to tap

Good work out there, man. We're all proud of you over here at Sherdog for getting out there and doing it. Congrats on not getting tapped.

good job man, way to hang in there with a more experienced grappler

djmarkiss said:
Dang that's cool man! That's a good way to start out in tournaments, other than winning lol.

thats how my first bjj fight went- lost on points but I didnt get tapped or wasn't dominated

Drew_C said:
Well I go the ATT near my house in coconut creek, fl. They had a AAT grappling/wrestling tourny this saturday and I decided to try my hand after about 2 1/2 months of training so I signed up for the beginner no-gi division. Well there werent any beginners at my weigh (222) so I went against a guy of similar weight but he was an intermediate. I lost but I'm proud of myself, I didn't get tapped out and lost by points. It started off standing and I went for a shoot and got one leg but he sprawled and got on top and got north/south and then transfered to side mount. From there I never really regained control with my shrimping and trying hip escapes till time ran out. He got a mount on me and I knew I was behind in points but I didn't care, I did not want to get tapped. All in all it was good times and I hope to do it again.

Good to hear. I've got my first tournament tomorrow (bjj with gi). I've been training for almost a month and am hoping to at least go the distance and not get tapped.

But mostly I just want to get the experience--tap or no tap.

wOg said:
Good to hear. I've got my first tournament tomorrow (bjj with gi). I've been training for almost a month and am hoping to at least go the distance and not get tapped.

But mostly I just want to get the experience--tap or no tap.

I didn't comment on this thread a few days ago, because of the old saying if you have nothing good to say don't say it at all. But do not go in expecting to perform to your least effort.. Loss is not acceptable, it is not an option. You might not get tapped, but you still did not win, you still lost. If you go the distance get the W, if not get the submission. For me loss is never acceptable, if you learn to accept and even be proud of it, it becomes a habit.. When you kick your own ass for losing you tend to train better.. so I find..

Good luck it the tourny!.

FiendishOne said:
I didn't comment on this thread a few days ago, because of the old saying if you have nothing good to say don't say it at all. But do not go in expecting to perform to your least effort.. Loss is not acceptable, it is not an option. You might not get tapped, but you still did not win, you still lost. If you go the distance get the W, if not get the submission. For me loss is never acceptable, if you learn to accept and even be proud of it, it becomes a habit.. When you kick your own ass for losing you tend to train better.. so I find..

Good luck it the tourny!.

Thanks Fiend. I hear what you're saying.

Back