H.I.'s Top 10 UFC Rankings - 2/8/2016

Assuncao and Caraway both haven't fought in 16 months, is there a point where you take inactivity into account?

Yoel failed the A and B tests and is going the tainted supplement route, so he should probably be removed.

Uncle Creepy hasn't really gotten much done over the last few years, do you keep him up there because he has that draw against MM?

Very good rankings btw

Great job. I'm in agreement with most of your lists, except women's SW. Like a few posters above I wonder at what point do injured fighters start losing their rankings. Wonder if boxing has some established guidelines.

Lima
Penne
Rose
Torres
KK
Aguilar
Esparza
Valerie
Claudia
Joanna

I feel sorry for Lima. I think she deserved to be in the top 10 all along but we know the TUF contestants usually get placed higher. Now that she finally gets a fight I think Aguilar will win a tough decision but that will knock Lima outta the top 10.

Great job. I'm in agreement with most of your lists, except women's SW. Like a few posters above I wonder at what point do injured fighters start losing their rankings. Wonder if boxing has some established guidelines.

Lima
Penne
Rose
Torres
KK
Aguilar
Esparza
Valerie
Claudia
Joanna

I feel sorry for Lima. I think she deserved to be in the top 10 all along but we know the TUF contestants usually get placed higher. Now that she finally gets a fight I think Aguilar will win a tough decision but that will knock Lima outta the top 10.

Aguilar > Esparza (and Val) imo. And I feel Claudia > Joanna. Claudia has a win over Val (Joanna's best win in the UFC), Aguilar (a better win than Esparza and Penne) and, well, over Joanna.

Lima
Penne
Rose
Torres
KK
Aguilar
Esparza
Valerie
Claudia
Joanna

Good rankings,but I think Torres should be #4.

She beat 4 top20 and 1 top10 opponent in her last 6 fights.Thats big.

While on the other hand KK+Aguilar both combined hardly beat any top20 for a long time, except Randa.

Lima
Penne
Rose
Torres
KK
Aguilar
Esparza
Valerie
Claudia
Joanna

thats more like it , tho id swap kk for esparza :D
randas higher than jojo?...really homeless, really? ;)

Last edited:
I like what you did with Romero

I agree Johnny is number 1 even without the belt.

When is Tumerov going to break into you're top ten?

If Cain can't compete for long does he deserve the #2 slot for?

With a win over Andersen how high does Bisping rise?

I think Hendricks, Woodley, Maia should be Woodley, Maia, Hendricks.

If JDS smokes Rothwell how does that shake up your rankings?

Nice work for a transient baby
Tumenov is getting close, no doubt. WW is stacked.

It takes a while for me to drop guys for inactivity...we'll see.

Depends on how Bisping were to win. If it's a good clean victory, probably up to #5.

If JDS does that, he'll move back in front of Ben.

Thank you, sir :)

Nice lists, although some of those fighters have been out or taking irrelevant fights for so long it's almost weird to see them there... Rashad, Esperza and Carraway really stand out... Also, you've always rated Bader and Hendricks much more than I have, but you've obviously put a lot of thought into your lists!
Thanks, man! Much appreciated. I don't have Rashad ranked. But I know what you mean.

Spot on, particularly HW

tumblr_m2wgq0u7UP1qmusib.gif

Assuncao and Caraway both haven't fought in 16 months, is there a point where you take inactivity into account?

Yoel failed the A and B tests and is going the tainted supplement route, so he should probably be removed.

Uncle Creepy hasn't really gotten much done over the last few years, do you keep him up there because he has that draw against MM?

Very good rankings btw
Yes. But I consider that they're both to be getting fights soon... Another set back for either would surely drop them out though.

I do agree. He'll be out for next month's assuming nothing crazy news wise is released, lol.

No, haha. I think he's fairly placed. The UFC ranks him higher.

Feedback appreciated, bud.

Do I even have to say it?
yes-gif.gif

thats more like it , tho id swap kk for esparza :D
randas higher than jojo?...really homeless, really? ;)
Lol, I love both Jojo & Randa but yes really! :p
Daly > Casey

Today was a busy day and the NH primary happened tonight, so before midnight let's break this bad boy down. Although there are several weight classes that can be skipped because nothing really happened yet.

Heavyweight(207-265 lbs): I had a hard time watching Barnett vs Rothwell, because I'm a huge fan of both guys. I never like those fights. It was like watching Chris Leben fight Wandy - I love them for different reasons, and yet watching them square off was rough. Same with Silva and Stann, but at least that fight was a nuclear war. Anyways, this division's in a weird spot. Stipe vs Werdum, then what? Did Reem earn a title shot beating JDS? Probably. It would be terrible to let Cain handle Reem as a title eliminator. Also, what does the UFC do with JDS? This new Rothwell fight is a weird one, because if Rothwell wins, it'd be so hard to deny him a title shot. But if JDS wins, what do they do? And also, in this week's most meaningless top ten matchup, Mir vs Hunt finds a way to present itself as hilarious and unnecessary. Should both guys retire after that fight? Probably. Sad. Also, what does the UFC do with Travis Browne now? I expect Roy vs Black Beast, so what's left for Browne? Cain? Hmm.

Light Heavyweight(205 lbs): I've all but given up on this division, and I can tell that the UFC has just about done the same. Who does Bader have left to fight in the division? Shogun? Ew. Manuwa? Maybe. Gus? Nah. I'd be ok with the UFC making one rematch actually, in this case. I'd like to see him fight Rumble again, just to get knocked to Bolivian again. Why? Because he let everyone know that he hasn't actually watched the Star Wars movies. That would be like me having the nickname Danger Zone without ever watching Top Gun, or Beastin 25/8 without ever watching Beastin 24/7. God, LHW is such a train wreck of a division. What can the UFC do to save it? Jones will probably come back, 50-45 Cormier again, and then what? Rumble? I love Rumble, but can he beat Jones? Hard to say. Otherwise, the division is stagnant.

Middleweight(185 lbs): Boooo to the Rockhold/Weidman rematch. Also boooo to the Machida/Hendo rematch. This division has been so mismanaged as of late. It's such a shame. Also, as soon as USADA slaps Romero, who will step up to take the 10 spot? Uriah Hall? Is Uriah Hall really a top 10 MW? My god.

Welterweight(170 lbs): Sup Wonderboy, glad to have you in the top five. I feel bad for hoping that this is a sign of the things to come for Johny, but he just rubbed everyone the wrong way. His excuses slay me. Also, I'm praying to the JBG that Brown pulls a Marquardt against Maia. What do you do with a Condit now? Also, what happens when GSP comes back for UFC 200 to fight Lawler? What does the division do? Do they make Condit vs Wonderboy? Ok, I want that after all. Also, poor Magny. Lombard is going to eat his lunch.

Lightweight(155 lbs): Let's see if Khabib makes it to the fight. That's such a weird thing to say or think. Sherdog must be getting to me. Also, Benny/Chiesa is a surprisingly underrated fight. No one will be talking about it even though it's a main card Fox fight. I will also find myself rooting for RDA for the first time in a right when he fights Connie. Surprising.

Featherweight(145 lbs): Works for me, they need to announce more fights in the top 10.

Bantamweight(135 lbs): Glad to see Jimmie Rivera getting some love for his win against Alcantara. I've been on the fence about Eduardo since he came to the UFC. Had that huge win against a sadly aging Wineland, and then Sterling handled him. 135 has a lot of options ahead. If I had to play matchmaker, I'd make Faber/Cruz regardless of I think Faber deserves a shot from a win over Saenz, because it's the only real money fight in the division other than Cruz/MM 2. Then I'd make TJ/Assuncao 2, and beg Sterling to stick around and make him fight Mayday probably for a title shot or at least a subsequent title eliminator bout. I would not make Sterling vs Almeida, though. Don't kill the momentum of one of the two big prospects of the division.

Women's Bantamweight: I mentioned before that I didn't think Davis needed to be ranked anymore because of her baby time, but that's obviously to make a spot for Liz Carmouche. Cough. They need more fights at WBW too.

Flyweight(125lbs): I'm a little shocked Dustin Ortiz was a top ten FLW but that's more a state of the division than anything. Otherwise, Creepy and Dodson should probably be about done with this list here because Creepy's all but officially retired, and Dodson's 135. Would that put Ali on the rankings and Ortiz back on? Probably. Man, 125 needs more guys.

Strawweight(115lbs): I'm glad they decided to schedule a couple more fights at 115, but we need more!

Heavyweight(207-265 lbs): I had a hard time watching Barnett vs Rothwell, because I'm a huge fan of both guys. I never like those fights. It was like watching Chris Leben fight Wandy - I love them for different reasons, and yet watching them square off was rough. Same with Silva and Stann, but at least that fight was a nuclear war. Anyways, this division's in a weird spot. Stipe vs Werdum, then what? Did Reem earn a title shot beating JDS? Probably. It would be terrible to let Cain handle Reem as a title eliminator. Also, what does the UFC do with JDS? This new Rothwell fight is a weird one, because if Rothwell wins, it'd be so hard to deny him a title shot. But if JDS wins, what do they do? And also, in this week's most meaningless top ten matchup, Mir vs Hunt finds a way to present itself as hilarious and unnecessary. Should both guys retire after that fight? Probably. Sad. Also, what does the UFC do with Travis Browne now? I expect Roy vs Black Beast, so what's left for Browne? Cain? Hmm.

Light Heavyweight(205 lbs): I've all but given up on this division, and I can tell that the UFC has just about done the same. Who does Bader have left to fight in the division? Shogun? Ew. Manuwa? Maybe. Gus? Nah. I'd be ok with the UFC making one rematch actually, in this case. I'd like to see him fight Rumble again, just to get knocked to Bolivian again. Why? Because he let everyone know that he hasn't actually watched the Star Wars movies. That would be like me having the nickname Danger Zone without ever watching Top Gun, or Beastin 25/8 without ever watching Beastin 24/7. God, LHW is such a train wreck of a division. What can the UFC do to save it? Jones will probably come back, 50-45 Cormier again, and then what? Rumble? I love Rumble, but can he beat Jones? Hard to say. Otherwise, the division is stagnant.

Middleweight(185 lbs): Boooo to the Rockhold/Weidman rematch. Also boooo to the Machida/Hendo rematch. This division has been so mismanaged as of late. It's such a shame. Also, as soon as USADA slaps Romero, who will step up to take the 10 spot? Uriah Hall? Is Uriah Hall really a top 10 MW? My god.

Welterweight(170 lbs): Sup Wonderboy, glad to have you in the top five. I feel bad for hoping that this is a sign of the things to come for Johny, but he just rubbed everyone the wrong way. His excuses slay me. Also, I'm praying to the JBG that Brown pulls a Marquardt against Maia. What do you do with a Condit now? Also, what happens when GSP comes back for UFC 200 to fight Lawler? What does the division do? Do they make Condit vs Wonderboy? Ok, I want that after all. Also, poor Magny. Lombard is going to eat his lunch.

Lightweight(155 lbs): Let's see if Khabib makes it to the fight. That's such a weird thing to say or think. Sherdog must be getting to me. Also, Benny/Chiesa is a surprisingly underrated fight. No one will be talking about it even though it's a main card Fox fight. I will also find myself rooting for RDA for the first time in a right when he fights Connie. Surprising.

Featherweight(145 lbs): Works for me, they need to announce more fights in the top 10.

Bantamweight(135 lbs): Glad to see Jimmie Rivera getting some love for his win against Alcantara. I've been on the fence about Eduardo since he came to the UFC. Had that huge win against a sadly aging Wineland, and then Sterling handled him. 135 has a lot of options ahead. If I had to play matchmaker, I'd make Faber/Cruz regardless of I think Faber deserves a shot from a win over Saenz, because it's the only real money fight in the division other than Cruz/MM 2. Then I'd make TJ/Assuncao 2, and beg Sterling to stick around and make him fight Mayday probably for a title shot or at least a subsequent title eliminator bout. I would not make Sterling vs Almeida, though. Don't kill the momentum of one of the two big prospects of the division.

Women's Bantamweight: I mentioned before that I didn't think Davis needed to be ranked anymore because of her baby time, but that's obviously to make a spot for Liz Carmouche. Cough. They need more fights at WBW too.

Flyweight(125lbs): I'm a little shocked Dustin Ortiz was a top ten FLW but that's more a state of the division than anything. Otherwise, Creepy and Dodson should probably be about done with this list here because Creepy's all but officially retired, and Dodson's 135. Would that put Ali on the rankings and Ortiz back on? Probably. Man, 125 needs more guys.

Strawweight(115lbs): I'm glad they decided to schedule a couple more fights at 115, but we need more!
This was probably my favorite breakdown yet! Agree on damn near every account! Great stuff, my friend. Love your feedback. Thank you, thank you :)

I think it all looks great for the most part. I think welterweight is crazy right now. Especially seeing that Condit is at number 7 now after the fight he just had with the champion. But it's pretty hard to rank right now IMO.

Back