Gyms with no showers

I've seen more gyms without showers than with.

Same. I actually had to do some digging cause I wanted to do bjj then go straight to work. Only two gyms fit the schedule and had showers.

I've moved a lot and, as a consequence, been at a lot of gyms. Only two gyms I trained at regularly didn't have showers. I've had a history of skin problems so I'd never never train full time at a gym without one again. I have a lot of difficulty understanding how people can just bounce after class without showering like its nothing.

I've moved a lot and, as a consequence, been at a lot of gyms. Only two gyms I trained at regularly didn't have showers. I've had a history of skin problems so I'd never never train full time at a gym without one again. I have a lot of difficulty understanding how people can just bounce after class without showering like its nothing.
We go home and shower (or possibly to work and shower). Middle America. What traffic......

Even when a gym has a shower, many BJJ practitioners choose not to take a shower in the gym.

Especially those hiding injection spots on their butts.

{<redford}

Even when a gym has a shower, many BJJ practitioners choose not to take a shower in the gym.

{<redford}

yeh, my gym has showers, but all but about 3 people go home and shower

{<redford}

Does anyone really try to hide steroid use in BJJ? Almost all the steroid users I know (whole mma class with the exception of like 1-3 people) always try to parade their gains, work around the gym shirtless and post photos to instagram when they are on the cycle.

Current gym has literally 1.

Its about 5 mins drive from home so i go home to shower.

Not ideal as its about minus 5 when I leave so i need to change out of my gi.

That said it is 50 euro a month for an awesome instructor. If it was expensive with no shower id be questioning it.

I'd like to install one at some point. If I do, we'd be the first gym in the area (out of like 10) to have showers. It's so Midwestern here that few people are more than a 10-minute drive from home, regardless of what part of town they live in or which gym they train at. It's just not worth the huge expense for something that really doesn't offer much of a benefit around here.

I imagine it's an issue in the US, as you all seem to get staph infections.

My current gym doesn't have a shower. The gym I started going to is a small neighborhood gym in an expensive city. It really charges maybe 50-120 bucks less for unlimited than the other gyms. It's still not cheap though. I remember BJJ at a college town/city with no shower was only 70 a month.
I am getting used to just packing up and showering at home but I don't like that in the winter. I figure when the weather heats up; I would be fine if I can flip flop outside. I guess I was spoiled by the first gym I ever been to where they had towel service and multiple showers.

I imagine it's an issue in the US, as you all seem to get staph infections.
I think that happens more to folks who train multiple times a day. There are sometimes I see dudes who train morning and afternoon session. They don't shower after the morning session and they reuse the same gi. Then again, I done muay thai for multiple years and I never clean my gloves or shinpads once....

It's common. Only trained at one spot that had showers.

I can't imagine taking a shower in a public place when I have a shower at home. I understand when people have to go back to work, but there are people who shower at the gym and then go home?!

I can't imagine taking a shower in a public place when I have a shower at home. I understand when people have to go back to work, but there are people who shower at the gym and then go home?!

I do this. I used to go straight to work but my hours changed and I can shower at home. My wife's dog is an ass hole though so I hate going into our room when she's sleeping (I train early mornings). Plus I'm so used to it now I just shower there.

I don’t know what I would do without my shower.

I need my post-workout shake after rolling with the boys.

{<redford}
This was the case for me at my last gym. I just followed everyone else's lead. I didn't bother me that much because I only lived 2 minutes down the road from the gym. Pretty much every martial art school that I been too in the last 30 years either haven't had showers or the practitioners haven't had showers when there were facilities. By contrast, when I played rugby we always showered.

Yes, why would I put clothes on when I'm all stinky. If I am training hard in the summer my gi it's like if fell into a lake of sweat.
What's the issue with showering in a public place?

Yes, why would I put clothes on when I'm all stinky. If I am training hard in the summer my gi it's like if fell into a lake of sweat.
What's the issue with showering in a public place?
That's why I have gym shorts and shitty old t-shirts.

That's why I have gym shorts and shitty old t-shirts.
If I have a longer commute from the gym I don't like rotting on the way. Also I don't want to go out in shitty gym clothes. Why should I present myself to my BJJ friends (and the super attractive female white belt at my previous club) in crappy clothes. What's wrong with public showers?

Shower at the place is ideal. You are creating less areas where there could be transmission. Your dirty gi or shorts/tshirt don't suddenly become clean when you go into the car.

Back