Gym in Houston

Gfreak

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Hey everyone, i started taking from this gym a lil while back. And i was just curious as to what y'all thought of it, and if anyone has heard of any of the instructors.

Joe soliz
Chad Kight
jason soliz

Sugarlandmixedmartialarts.com

Hey, I go there too! I've actually tried a couple BJJ gyms before I settled on this one, so I got to see the differences. SLMMA is pretty awesome in comparison :)

I don't train there, but am very familiar with the people.

Joe Soliz is very respected in Houston, he used to teach at Elite MMA (the largest MMA school in Houston). He is an old-school true martial artist in the best sense of the word. His specialty is JKD, but he is also a legit BJJ blackbelt.

His son Jason is a fantastic brown belt in his early twenties, one of the most successful and dynamic competitors in Texas.

Chad Kight is a brown belt under Royce Gracie and also a well-rounded martial artist.

Sugar Land MMA launched less than a year ago and is already putting together a very good team. Many of their students came over from other schools because the instructors were already highly thought of. They seem to have a good blend of hobbyists and serious competitors. Overall, a top-notch place to train.

Ok well that's great to know, does anyone know who gave joe his black belt? Just curious. Is it courto? Cause i know he's having a seminar there pretty soon.

Those guys are legit and from what I've experienced, very respectful.

I competed against Jason when I was a new blue just before he got his purple. I made it to the finals against him and will admit to being somewhat intimidated b/c I'd seen him compete numerous times before. I put up a much better fight than I gave myself credit for, eventually giving up a sub in OT. He was very respectful and friendly after the match and that was good to see.

There's nothing I hate worse than competitors with bad attitudes, even after winning. I've never seen those types of attitudes from the folks you mentioned. I think you're in good hands.

Ok well that's great to know, does anyone know who gave joe his black belt? Just curious. Is it courto? Cause i know he's having a seminar there pretty soon.

Eric Williams (owner of Elite MMA) gave Joe his black belt. I believe Octavio "Ratinho" Couto is sort of overseeing the promotions at Joe's school now.

You might have caught a reference to Ratinho on the last Fightworks Podcast. Comprido was saying he calls Ratinho when he needs extra help training Brock Lesner, and mentioned how Ratinho is helping Werdum with his BJJ.

Alright, well thanks again. If anyone else has anything to say 'bout em, feel free to post! haha

I've heard of Saul Soliz, head coach of Tito Ortiz and various other fighters and is a very good Muay Thai coach

check out revolutiondojo or paradigm. Jeff Messina is a Rodrigo Mendeiros black belt and runs revolutiondojo. Cant go wrong with either one of those places.

Back