Gym closedd

CaliKid45

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
so i go to practice today to find out my mma gym is closing down no notice.. really effed up. So i have to find a new school unfortunetly theres no other mma gyms on the Lower Easter Shore(MD). So im going to have to do a straight jiu jitsu gym which isnt bad but man im going to miss standup. Ill prob find a kickboxing gym soon.

Anyone else have or have had a situation like this?

I prefer to do these both separately. Honestly I think thats the only way of getting really good. Anyway this is the grappling forum so most people will stick to pure BJJ. Never been in a similar situation but must be rough.

I prefer to do these both separately. Honestly I think thats the only way of getting really good. Anyway this is the grappling forum so most people will stick to pure BJJ. Never been in a similar situation but must be rough.

yeah its pretty horrible, i was given no notice at all. I posted this in the grappling because the best posters are here.

so i go to practice today to find out my mma gym is closing down no notice.. really effed up. So i have to find a new school unfortunetly theres no other mma gyms on the Lower Easter Shore(MD). So im going to have to do a straight jiu jitsu gym which isnt bad but man im going to miss standup. Ill prob find a kickboxing gym soon.

Anyone else have or have had a situation like this?

Dude, that is rough. Never been in this kind of situation, but it must totally suck. I think you got the right idea, and it is probably better to find two different places to do bjj and standup anyway.

looks like my friend bought all the gym mat stuff and might have a gym but an hour away from me in about a month or two so ill probably do that a couple days a week

Unfortunately, there isn't a ton of money to be made in the martial arts so a lot of schools run pretty close to break even. Throw in a string of bad months and suddenly the school runs out of money and has to shut down.

Most of the time, when a school closes suddenly it's not due to any malice on the instructor's part. Your instructor was probably desperately trying to find a way to pay the bills and just ran out of options. Instructors are afraid to tell their students about the financial situation because it damages morale and makes it even harder to save the school.

Still, your situation is a tough one. I know it sucks. But just know that you will find another home and be able to train elsewhere. Every good school that I have been a part of in the past has closed eventually; it's just how things go in the martial arts. Just be thankful that you were able to be a part of it while things were good, and try to keep that spirit going in your future training at other places.

that would suck to have to pay for 2 separate schools
1 for grappling
1 for kickboxing

Unfortunately, there isn't a ton of money to be made in the martial arts so a lot of schools run pretty close to break even. Throw in a string of bad months and suddenly the school runs out of money and has to shut down.

Most of the time, when a school closes suddenly it's not due to any malice on the instructor's part. Your instructor was probably desperately trying to find a way to pay the bills and just ran out of options. Instructors are afraid to tell their students about the financial situation because it damages morale and makes it even harder to save the school.

Still, your situation is a tough one. I know it sucks. But just know that you will find another home and be able to train elsewhere. Every good school that I have been a part of in the past has closed eventually; it's just how things go in the martial arts. Just be thankful that you were able to be a part of it while things were good, and try to keep that spirit going in your future training at other places.

thanks man. im going to be doing just jiu jitsu for a month or two, then when my friend opens up his gym im going to be going as much as i can.

That's lame, how many people went to your gym? Either way It's pretty messed up to close without any notice. Even though instructors will look for a way to pay the bills once they know they are going to close they should inform the students.

A while back at my old school the same thing happened. They opened up as a Carlson Gracie Jr. affiliate with a Carlson Jr. BB teaching (Daniel Wanderley). In December the owner and Daniel had a falling out over some money issues and Daniel left for Counterstrike MMA. The owner decided to talk to Jeff Curran and see if he wanted to buy/teach at the school. Jeff and his guys came for about 2 weeks until the deal fell through. Well, that next night, before I knew what was going on, I got ready for class and when I got there all there was was a note on the door saying they were closing and we could finish our memberships at Jeff school about a half hour away. 2 weeks later I signed up at Jeffs school and have been attending ever since.

That's lame, how many people went to your gym? Either way It's pretty messed up to close without any notice. Even though instructors will look for a way to pay the bills once they know they are going to close they should inform the students.

probably 45 guys. There were 5 or 6 pro fighters. 7-8 amatuer. it screws about 30 guys.
Yesterday before i got there a couple a guys were practcing when the owner said you guys gotta leave. they texted me and i didnt go. I went with two of my boys today and 1 of the pro guys told me what was up

Not really.
As Balto said there probably wasn't any malice. The owner was probably trying to keep things going and using his own $$$ to keep things afloat hoping that new enrollments would eventually help turn things around. I'm sure that he finally reached the financial breaking point where he had to choose his home / family over the business (he'll probably be paying off debts associated with the school for a couple of years still).
If he were to tell the students that there were financial problems & the gym might close that would only exacerbate the problem. Students worried about the gym would start looking elsewhere for training & it would become a self fulfilling prophecy as they left for someplace they felt was more stable.
Situation sucks but such is life.

That sucks man I moved from a mma gym to a jiu jitsu school and my jitsu has gotten so much better i feel alot more technical.

That sucks man I moved from a mma gym to a jiu jitsu school and my jitsu has gotten so much better i feel alot more technical.

im looking forward to progress in my jiu jitsu, only thing im worried about is all the guys that dont know yet.

Back