Guys, would you like to know what happened to WAMMA?

But how and why? This is a question I'd like to ask Mr. Caplan.

I mean, this was supposed to be an independent rankings org, consultant on MMA regulations.
I even remember they changed some rules.

Fedor was their champ. So what?

It’s because it’s sole purpose was to promote fedor. Everything else it did was a thinly veiled attempt to give it legitimacy. Also thd ufc didn’t recognize it so it could t give wanna titles to ufc fighters despite the fact that other than HW the UFC has the number 1 ranked fighters in the weight classes. So the could only rank fedor and they put another belt on aoki (another thinly veiled attempt to give themselves legitimacy).

FYI they also auctioned the belts off on eBay. Some nerd out there has it on display in their home... likely upside down.

I think I do. It's interesting, isn't it?
They just disappeared, after Fedor's loss to Werdum. No one ever spoke about it.

However, slightly before that, they hired this guy as their COO:

https://www.facebook.com/sam.caplan.9

If you remember, he started to work as Bellator matchmaker and got fired along with Rebney.
As you can see, his current business is far from MMA, so what says you - should one of us send him a message asking, politely, what happened to WAMMA? Why it folded?

Does anyone volunteer? :)
If it's the same Sam Caplan, he also used to run the MMA site fiveouncesofpain.com. Don't remember when it got absorbed by another site.

And it folded because of their own BS. They wanted to be a sanctioning body over ALL of MMA, but since the UFC didn't want to work with them, they didn't recognize any UFC fighters in their rankings. So in their "honest" opinion, GSP wasn't the #1 Welterweight in the world back then, neither was Anderson Silva the #1 Middleweight.

So no one took them seriously, save for themselves.

It's all outlined really well here . . . https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2009/7/28/966674/good-times-great-memories-wamma

Back