Gustafsson and other fighters who don't look like they workout.

chill doggie

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Is it me or did Gustafsson look to be in terribly average shape? Guy doesn't look like he lifts for shit, specially not for this most recent fight.

I know that a shredded or buff physique is not paramount to having successs as a fighter, but at least we know that fighters like Fedor have dense and strong muscles underneath that flab.

I thought it was embarrassing for an athlete to show up for such an important fight looking like they just rolled out of bed and went on a lil diet and ran a couple miles for a week.

Is working out that unimportant? Is training striking, wrestling, subs, sparring, etc.. all you need? I know that being super-buff can lead to a decrease in speed and gas-tank, but man some of these guys look like they're allergic to hitting weights. Doesn't look professional for a full-time athlete.

gus-weigh-in.jpeg

Last edited:
Is it me or did Gustafsson look to be in terribly average shape? Guy doesn't look like he lifts for shit, specially not for this most recent fight.

I know that a shredded or buff physique is not paramount to having successs as a fighter, but at least we know that fighters like Fedor have dense and strong muscles underneath that flab.

I thought it was embarrassing for an athlete to show up for such an important fight looking like they just rolled out of bed and went on a lil diet and ran a couple miles for a week.

Is working out that unimportant? Is training striking, wrestling, subs, sparring, etc.. all you need? I know that being super-buff can lead to a decrease in speed and gas-tank, but man some of these guys look like they're allergic to hitting weights. Doesn't look professional for a full-time athlete.

alexander-gustafsson-ufc-192.jpg

"Average shape"

He lifts more than heaviest weight in your local gym that you pass by on the way to buy some crap from McDonalds.

a lot of these guys don't train full time, if they do and still look like shit then chances are they don't watch their diet at all and just eat everything under the shelf see DC,Fedor,Henderson for example

Judging a fighter by how he looks..... first mistake

He's 6' 5'' and competes in a cardio-intensive sport.

Gustafsson is probably over-reliant on his physical gifts, actually. He's extremely gifted physically (very fast for a guy his size and very physically strong).

"Average shape"

He lifts more than heaviest weight in your local gym that you pass by on the way to buy some crap from McDonalds.

He looks good but he would be like the 30th strongest guy at my gym.
I am not saying I am 6ft 4 250lbs like other sherdoggers but Gus isn't THAT impressive physically outside of his height to anyone that actually does go to the gym often.

He looks good but not to the point where I would be scared of him on the street if I didn't know who he was. I would make one hell of a mistake in fighting him of course and get KO'd silly but just based on just looking at him my ignorance in this hypothetical scenario would make me confident that I could take him.

I think that is what TC really means.

I'm sure it's been mentioned but he definitely looked old and slow in that fight in addition to looking out of shape. That long layoff did him in

I am not saying I am 6ft 4 250lbs like other sherdoggers but Gus isn't THAT impressive physically outside of his height to anyone that actually does go to the gym often.

He looks good but not to the point where I would be scared of him on the street if I didn't know who he was. I would make one hell of a mistake in fighting him of course and get KO'd silly but my ignorance based on just looking at him would make me confident that I could take him.

Rating guys in your gym....?
Scared of guys on the street.....?
Picking up fights on the street.....?

I thought you're a kid, but then I saw a join date on sherdog.
So I assume you're just mentally challenged and stay in the pre-high school past....

He's 6'5 and fights at 205

He can't afford to put on any muscle unless he wants to move to HW

Also he's white af, you'll see better definition on tanned/darker skinned people

"Average shape"

That picture is not from this latest fight.
gus-weigh-in.jpeg

I don't eat McDonalds, I go to the gym.

If I ate McDonald's and didn't go to the gym I would look like Gustafsson does in that picture above. Good genes.

Rating guys in your gym....?
Scared of guys on the street.....?
Picking up fights on the street.....?

I thought you're a kid, but then I saw a join date on sherdog.
So I assume you're just mentally challenged and stay in the pre-high school past....

Seems you are overly thinking thru my post.
Maybe you need to get laid.

He looks good but not to the point where I would be scared of him on the street if I didn't know who he was. I would make one hell of a mistake in fighting him of course and get KO'd silly but just based on just looking at him my ignorance in this hypothetical scenario would make me confident that I could take him.

i think seeing someone on a screen is deceptive. if you saw him irl you'd realize he's a big boy. he's not shredded but he doesn't have to be so i dont understand what TS is trying to prove.

He would look better if he spent the last 10 years roiding.

Jeremy Horn had a horrible physique but he was a submission machine back in the day.

Also he's white af, you'll see better definition on tanned/darker skinned people

If only there was a PED that helps you get stronger but still maintain 205lbs weight at the scale.

I wonder if anyone knows a PED like that ... maybe even 1/50th of a pinch of salt of that.

i think seeing someone on a screen is deceptive. if you saw him irl you'd realize he's a big boy. he's not shredded but he doesn't have to be so i dont understand what TS is trying to prove.

That's true.

I can see that to be partially true, but if you look at the picture I posted he looks like he could lose a bit of body fat and trade that for muscle.

He's looked to be in better shape at previous weigh-ins and Joness is practically the same height/body type.

Because looking like a body builder or 99% of the members gets you the belt... Have you seen Champ-Champ DC.

Better example of a guy who works out daily for a living but looks soft as shit

20140102_ter_aj4_302.0.jpg

Back