Gus vs Mousasi

RearNakedCh0ke

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Who would have won that fight?

I had Gus from the beginning but im intrested too see how/if peoples opinions have changed...

Well Mousasi coming in with an injury I think Gus would have took it via UD and even if Mousasi knee was fine then I'd lean more towards Gus

55/45

It's a toss up with those two and would be even closer than the Gus versus Jon fight last night.

Gus would have dominated him with a mix of strikes and takedowns.

Before the Jon Jones fight - I thought Gus would have won because of his improved wrestling that he showcased in the Shogun fight

Now - I definitely think Gus would win

Mousasi!

Last edited:
Well Mousasi coming in with an injury I think Gus would have took it via UD and even if Mousasi knee was fine then I'd lean more towards Gus

55/45

Is Mousasi that good? In my mind he is maybe top ten. Could be wrong, need too see him against a top ten ufc 205er

People still think Mousasi would win, intresting. Cant wait to see him against top competition.

Still think Mousasi would have win.

60/40.

Before the Jon Jones fight - I thought Gus would have won because of his improved wrestling that he showcased in the Shogun fight

Now - I definitely think Gus would win

Pretty much this

Is Mousasi that good? In my mind he is maybe top ten. Could be wrong, need too see him against a top ten ufc 205er

He's a savage. The only thing Mousasi has been missing is a good camp who will light a fire under his butt. He's lazy, like BJ was. He's still young and very experienced, and could absolutely hold a belt at LHW or MW if he realizes the importance of wrestling and pushes himself to become better at it. He also needs to have more of a sense of urgency throughout the fight. He fights hard in spurts sometimes, which is usually due to insufficient cardio. A camp that kicks his butt every day will fix those issues.

He's got everything else. He's a deadly striker with an iron chin, but he doesn't rely entirely on his chin (he slips punches very well). He's calculating and methodical in sizing his opponent up. If the fight goes to the ground, he's a threat from guard and top position. Also, he as cool under pressure as a fighter can be. If he drops the first 2 rounds, he still has the ability to stay focused and confident.

As for the OP's question, if Gus comes to wrestle, he'll win. If he comes to strike, I've got Mousasi. Thrilling affair either way, though. I love the idea of Mousasi at MW, but I still want that fight someday. What I want NOW is for Anderson to regain the belt, then rematch Vitor in a sold out gigantic soccer stadium and defeat him. Mousasi should be able to fight twice in that time frame and earn a shot. Then, at long last, Mousasi vs Anderson for the belt.

It's a tough decision, it's important to realize that Mousasi is no slouch with his boxing, its very very good and I kind of doubt Gus would try to wrestlefuck him. I don't know really, I'd imagine Gus could outbox him for a decision, kind of like against Shogun or something to that extent perhaps.

if both are healthy i think it wouldve been close, pretty hard to say

People still think Mousasi would win, intresting. Cant wait to see him against top competition.

A lot of people on Sherdog get hard on's from fighters that didn't make their name in the UFC it greatly clouds their judgement! We've seen this from shogun, Wanderlei silva to alistar Overeem!

I think Mousasi takes it. Mousasi's striking is even better than Gus imo. I was, however, shocked at Gus's TDD and the improvement he showed in his wrestling and wrestlers are Mousasi's kryptonite so Gus will win if he makes it a wrestling match.

Mousasi is the better skilled technical striker if you think Gus has displayed good Boxing against Jones you don't know nothing.

Even with the height and reach advantage of Gus it doesnt matter because a good striker like Moose knows how to close the distance to rip your head out!

Healthy Moose wins all day anyday nothing to take anything away from Gus he a good fighter too.

Back