guillotine defense?

BGBG

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi, lately i have tried practicing single leg from armdrag and firemans carry. My problem is I get caught in guillotine alot. I know I should just do the takedowns better and I wont end up there :) and I trying to do that as well. But I would like to know what to do when I end up in guillotine anyway.

If they get just the head, I usually manage to control his legs and hop over to sidemount as he sits down, then I do the von flu choke or get out another way.

My problem is when they do the arm in guillotine. When I do the same thing with controlling the legs and getting to sidemount, they still have a good blood choke, and I cant put more pressure in sidemount because then I tighten the choke.

Can anybody help me?

youtube videos or references to instructionals would be super good.

Well first of all, if you're doing a proper single leg then you shouldn't be in all that much danger for a guillotine. Your head should not be on the outside of his body when doing a single, it should be in his abdomen/ribs area, and facing him rather than the floor.

If you're escaping to side control and this tightens the choke, then you're going to the wrong side of his body, and are really not escaping it at all. You want to bring your body on the opposite side of him as your head. If your head is on his right side, you want your body on his left. If head and body are both on his right, you're done.

Last, there are many defenses for the guillotine, all depending on the type of guillotine and the position you're in. As a general rule for the arm-in, your free hand should instantly go to work on his grip and relieve some pressure on your neck. If he's on his back in the guard, sit up a little and wrap your trapped arm around his body, then get up into a tripod stance and drive your trapped shoulder into his solar plexus. Continue to work on his grip with the free hand, and you should be creating enough space to extract your head. This is just one of many escapes.

Hi, lately i have tried practicing single leg from armdrag and firemans carry. My problem is I get caught in guillotine alot. I know I should just do the takedowns better and I wont end up there :) and I trying to do that as well. But I would like to know what to do when I end up in guillotine anyway.

If they get just the head, I usually manage to control his legs and hop over to sidemount as he sits down, then I do the von flu choke or get out another way.

My problem is when they do the arm in guillotine. When I do the same thing with controlling the legs and getting to sidemount, they still have a good blood choke, and I cant put more pressure in sidemount because then I tighten the choke.Can anybody help me?

youtube videos or references to instructionals would be super good.

If they are still getting you from side mount with a blood choke try to battle the hands / grip. If they dont have control of your hips, try switching around to different positions and try to make space.

thanks for good responses.

Supersuperrambo:I think I already go to the right side. my head is on the opposite side of my body. And yes, my single leg is bad.

The arm thats in the guillotine is on the same side as my body when I get to sidemount. When he does the choke, he makes me turn so I have to look towards his legs to relief the pressure.

I think both you are right that I dont work the grips enough.

Should I forget about getting to sidemount and just focus on the grips and stay in turtle / "failed shoot position"?

I found some stuff in Saulo frestyle revolution. Seems like he stays in turtle and focus on gripfighting first.

What do the people here do? Do you guys try to get to sidemount or stay and work grips in turtle/ failed shot? Do you think getting to sidemount is for "head only" guillotines?

It depends mostly on the skill of my partner to be honest.

My first reaction is to usually control a hand and work for side mount. If I can get there and control the arm over my head I go for a von flu or try to slip the arm over my head via wrist control and lock up a kimura.

If they are working the blood choke still at side control, you probably wont have long to try to get out. That is when I battle the wrists and transition for space.

If they have my legs / hips trapped, it is another matter all together. gotta try to get the hips in the air.

Try starting in that position with moderate resistance from your partner and experiment with ways out and counters. Have your instructor or some more experienced team mates watch and give suggestions. So much easier to work stuff live than to watch the internet or type about it ya know...

I found some stuff in Saulo frestyle revolution. Seems like he stays in turtle and focus on gripfighting first.

What do the people here do? Do you guys try to get to sidemount or stay and work grips in turtle/ failed shot? Do you think getting to sidemount is for "head only" guillotines?

If I'm in a guillotine I stop driving and work to defend the choke.

Back