Guard retention

DW18

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm wondering if i can be given some drills/movements to help with guard retention. I'm having the problem of once my guard is open and my partner is standing going for the pass they simply grab at my ankle (Yes, do i attempt to circle, doesn't save me all the time) and proceed to have me in side control.

Move to z guard and work from there. One step at a time.

maybe you could work on getting under/overhooks before they stand up
after just sit up and grab the legs with butterfly hooks in for starters

I am really good at going right to turtle and back into guard as people are passing
that's just me but one thing to look for is getting that underhook immediately as they pass to side
and get a hook shot out the back before they can get seated

Ok, I couldn't find any videos, but I'll try my best to describe what seems to work for me at least:

1) Your opponent is passing to your right and pushes your right leg down to the mat on your RIGHT side (so you start facing right):
Take your left leg, throw it over and place your left foot on his left side (shoulder, chest, hip, whatever). Push off with your left leg and scoot your hips to your right to recover guard. This is basically the same defense often used against the leg drag pass

2) Your opponent is passing to your right and pushes your right leg down to the mat on your LEFT side (so your right leg crosses over your body and gets pinned towards the left of you and you start facing left):
This is where you do the spin under/roll that you see a lot of black belts do in competition. Prop yourself up on your left shoulder on the mat (almost as if going to turtle). TUCK YOUR HEAD IN, then roll from your left shoulder to your right shoulder towards your right while keeping your legs above your head. Then bring down your legs and recover guard.

I think tucking your head in is the most important step in that move because it allows you to roll quicker and you can do it with a lot less space.

Sorry, number 2 is very hard to describe, but Romulo Barral had mentioned in a seminar that that move was one of the most important ones he learned to retain guard. You see that one a lot in competition.

TS what is your level of experience.

responses here may differ if u are a three stripe white belt vs just started last week.

responses here may differ if u are a three stripe white belt vs just started last week.

^^^

1st few months of BJJ for me focused on one thing... Survival! Achieve survival posture, breath and relax.

The number one drill that has improved my guard retention (and guard passing) is a simple guard passing drill with a small group. You partner up and set a timer for 2 minutes. One guy tries to pass, the other guy tries to retain guard. No sweeps or submissions. After 2 minutes switch positions. Once you're done, switch partners keep going. It works best with 6-8 people. Do this as part of your open mat warmup at least once a week and watch your game grow.

The number one drill that has improved my guard retention (and guard passing) is a simple guard passing drill with a small group. You partner up and set a timer for 2 minutes. One guy tries to pass, the other guy tries to retain guard. No sweeps or submissions. After 2 minutes switch positions. Once you're done, switch partners keep going. It works best with 6-8 people. Do this as part of your open mat warmup at least once a week and watch your game grow.

We do this as well. King of the guard is awesome.

Personally, I don't like playing guard against a standing opponent. If they stand I'll break any grips they have, create space and stand up myself. I feel that a standing opponent has too much of an advantage against a grounded one, so I'd rather not let them have that advantage. If they're doing a good job of pressuring me down (most people don't) and I can't stand then I tend to play sitting guard and aim to catch a single leg. If they grab your ankle/pants you need to break that grip ASAP, I like to grab their wrist/sleeve with two hands and donkey kick the grip off (being careful to check their hip opposite to the hand you're gripping; they'll try to pass that way if you appear to be over-committed to the other side).

Retaining guard...big question.

Always keep their posture broken if possible. This is true in every guard, all the time ( I can't think of an exception). Very hard for them to pass if they can't get posture/balance.

A rule of thumb for open guards is to always have at least as many grips on them as they have on you. If you get dominated on the grips, you'll get passed eventually.

I have found that if I have one lapel or sleeve and can keep at least one foot in the hip, I never get passed. This is not necessarily easy to maintain, but if I concentrate on achieving this sort of position I can always mess with their posture and prevent the pass.

Learn when to bail to half guard rather than trying to retain full guard. If you have the choice between going to half now versus getting passed in a few seconds, go to half now and fight from there. Make the passer work for every stage of the pass. Holding on too long just lets them setup the pass finish.

Finally, a good drill to work on guard retention is the recomposition drill. Basically, your partner kneels and holds out their arms, palms up. You have one leg across their their midsection (shin shield style) and the other leg then comes over their head and across their body, so that your top leg is between you and them and your top foot is on their far shoulder/bicep. You then use that leg to lift your hips, switch your hips, let your top leg fall to their midsection in the shin shield, and throw what was your bottom leg over them head to their far shoulder. Repeat. This is an excellent guard retention drill.

started rolling in february took 4 months off against my will. and then another 2 months afterwards. so 5 months give or take.

Retaining guard...big question.

Always keep their posture broken if possible. This is true in every guard, all the time ( I can't think of an exception). Very hard for them to pass if they can't get posture/balance.

A rule of thumb for open guards is to always have at least as many grips on them as they have on you. If you get dominated on the grips, you'll get passed eventually.

I have found that if I have one lapel or sleeve and can keep at least one foot in the hip, I never get passed. This is not necessarily easy to maintain, but if I concentrate on achieving this sort of position I can always mess with their posture and prevent the pass.

Learn when to bail to half guard rather than trying to retain full guard. If you have the choice between going to half now versus getting passed in a few seconds, go to half now and fight from there. Make the passer work for every stage of the pass. Holding on too long just lets them setup the pass finish.

Finally, a good drill to work on guard retention is the recomposition drill. Basically, your partner kneels and holds out their arms, palms up. You have one leg across their their midsection (shin shield style) and the other leg then comes over their head and across their body, so that your top leg is between you and them and your top foot is on their far shoulder/bicep. You then use that leg to lift your hips, switch your hips, let your top leg fall to their midsection in the shin shield, and throw what was your bottom leg over them head to their far shoulder. Repeat. This is an excellent guard retention drill.

Thanks!

Now im gunna show you someting
It is someting I really like for defend the guard that I like to say is "Protect the corners"

I'm a newb but I'm finding it useful:

Last edited:
^^^

Thanks for the vid, I find it so amusing how much of jiu jitsu is in the hips and these what i consider minute movements. I tend to overthink at times and do everything but simply hip escape, but that Maia video is simple beauty. will definitely focus on being square to my partner at all times.

I'm wondering if i can be given some drills/movements to help with guard retention. I'm having the problem of once my guard is open and my partner is standing going for the pass they simply grab at my ankle (Yes, do i attempt to circle, doesn't save me all the time) and proceed to have me in side control.

The xande and maia videos are good ones and are good responses to your guard "retention" question.

I'll just add two things:
1) If they grab your knee like in the maia video, you might find that you need to break their inside knee grip prior to recovering the guard (maia is definitely keeping it super simple in his vid)
2) You mention that your opponent is standing up and grabbing your ankles. I assume that you are simply placing your feet on their hips. Don't do that! Instead, when they stand, you should transition to an appropriate guard for a standing opponent - e.x. DLR guard

If you are training for mma then I'm not sure if anything that I said is applicable..

The xande and maia videos are good ones and are good responses to your guard "retention" question.

I'll just add two things:
1) If they grab your knee like in the maia video, you might find that you need to break their inside knee grip prior to recovering the guard (maia is definitely keeping it super simple in his vid)
2) You mention that your opponent is standing up and grabbing your ankles. I assume that you are simply placing your feet on their hips. Don't do that! Instead, when they stand, you should transition to an appropriate guard for a standing opponent - e.x. DLR guard

If you are training for mma then I'm not sure if anything that I said is applicable..
No it's just BJJ, MMA's in the future though

Not the best thing but you could go inverted and regain guard, it is pretty easy but once people catch on to it you have to be crafty with it.

Not the best thing but you could go inverted and regain guard, it is pretty easy but once people catch on to it you have to be crafty with it.

I've actually caught higher belts off guard with that, but when i try it again they shut it down immediately.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back