Guard for Old purple belt with neck back problems?

Deltafarce

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Being training for a while now I think about 10 years. Gi and no gi. Recently I’ve been tweaking my neck and back bad. In a lot of pain all the time lately.

I’m thinking of just trying to avoid closed guard for a while, seems like that tight closed guard I like to play is putting a lot of pressure. Idk maybe I’m training too much

Butterfly maybe? Situp guard with far lapel grip?

Trying to think of a guard where you're unlikely to get stacked/compressed

How old btw?

<---41yr/purple

If you can afford this then invest in it. I was skeptical but bit the bullet last year (november). I used to have neck, back pain and it has pretty much disappeared. I did the 3 phases they recommend for 3 weeks straight (one phase per week). Now I use it once or twice a week and my neck and back issues are pretty much gone.

It looks goofy but man I am glad I took the risk and dished out the money for it (Im in Canada so it was even more expensive). I looked at it as an investment.

I only use it at home anyhow so I look like a goof using it but I'm at home and even if I used it in a public gym IDGAF because it works.

Being training for a while now I think about 10 years. Gi and no gi. Recently I’ve been tweaking my neck and back bad. In a lot of pain all the time lately.

I’m thinking of just trying to avoid closed guard for a while, seems like that tight closed guard I like to play is putting a lot of pressure. Idk maybe I’m training too much

I have lower back problems. I play t hg everyone "go ahead and pass guard." I give passes easily and have upped my bottom half and bottom side control games.

Half guard and deep half. Works very well for older grapplers and it will really let you use your experience advantage against those young scrambly guys, and requires zero flexibility. Particularly transitioning to deep half when the opportunity presents itself.

A lot of older grapplers I've trained with get very good at lasso guards too, particularly older/smaller guys - those really let you slow things down and use timing and position against scrambly athletic younger dudes - breaking a good lasso guard isn't really possible with explosive athleticism but rather takes a step-by-step incremental approach to unwind it. I should probably get better at lasso, to be honest - I suffered a pretty serious injury recently (dislocated my elbow) and when I get back will probably doing more guardwork.

Butterfly guard, & ashi garami.

On topic - Butterfly guard, maybe a knee shield.

Best answer IMO.

It’s not exactly wizardry... don’t play guards where your opponent can stack you or cross face you.

Maintain distance at all times with a knee.

Spider is also good but jacks up your hands and not super easily for slower and more inflexible players.

Collar sleeve/spider is decent if the guy is standing.
Just concede the stack always and go to turtle.

Back